Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Fluid mechanics artificial heart

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    Hello!

I'm a biomedical engineer student and I'm working on a project about the fluid dynamics in artificial hearts.

What I want is to compare the fluid dynamics in real hearts and artificial ones, have a general idea on what problems can arise when trying to produce an artificial heart, in therms of fluid dynamics.

The only problem is that I been having a hard time trying to find some bibliography on the subject.

Can somebody help me with this one? I sure appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2
    Well for starters i assume you are very confident in your abilities in fluid mechanics and got your tensor calculus learned (we didnt get it in ME undergrad). I did some work on blood flow through capillaries kinda still on it and the first books i got recommended were:

"Applied biofluid mechanics" by Lee Waite ... i think it ll give you a lot to start with

"Biomechanical systems: Techniques and applications" Vol III and IV are very good they are backed up by research and each chapter has a TON of bibliography that you can see but be aware that theres some mistakes but you should be able to see them.

I dont remember all the books i used if i do i will post more but i also just used the biomechanical systems book and read the bibliography at the end of each chapter searching for what i wanted, i think those 3 will give you a good start.

4. Oct 16, 2011 #3
    Well, I must say, I thank you very much.

I'll start by grabbing a read on those books and keep searchinf for some more bibliography.

Take care.

:smile:

5. Oct 17, 2011 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I am slightly familiar with the field- mostly in the context of the flow field around cardiac valves. It's hard to get data (for obvious reasons), but there is some literature out there. I'll poke around and see what I find- look for MRI studies.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2497179/

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNEoC9GyKGHoq132MzLBo1a2G5-oKw&cad=rja

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook