Fluid mechanics modeling question

In summary, you would not be able to determine the effects of a pressure change on flow from an IV bag using the ideal gas law.
spiri
Physics Forum:

Can someone show me how to model, mathematically, what happens if you place a drink box with a straw sticking out of it, in a vacuum chamber and apply a vacuum?

Attachments

• juicebox.jpg
    juicebox.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 474
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you saying that the place that the straw passes through the juice box is sealed? Are you assuming that the juice box is rigid? Are you saying that there was air in the top of the juice box when the box was suddenly exposed to the vacuum?

Why are you interested in this anyway?

Chet

Yes, the juice box is sealed around the straw, but the juice box is not rigid. There is no air in the juice box when exposed to vacuum.

I'm interested in determining whether ambient pressure changes would affect flow from an IV bag. The IV bag gets pressurized by gravity (in my example) and then might be brought onto an airplane, for example.

So you have a balloon full of water sitting on a table, and the balloon is full and open at the neck at the top. You suddenly drop the air pressure in the room. You are interested in what happens as a result, correct?

Chet

That's correct!

The short answer is "not much happens."

If the pressure is not dropped so much that the pressure approaches the equilibrium vapor pressure of the water (a few mm of mercury, so that the water boils), the volume of the liquid will increase very slightly, since water is very nearly incompressible (or expandable), and its bulk modulus is very high. The increase in volume would be less than 0.01%.

Chet

Thank you so much! That's what I was hoping happens. Would I use the ideal gas law across the inside and outside of the balloon to prove that mathematically? The changes in pressure would be less than a couple of psi.

spiri said:
Thank you so much! That's what I was hoping happens. Would I use the ideal gas law across the inside and outside of the balloon to prove that mathematically? The changes in pressure would be less than a couple of psi.
There would be no need to use the ideal gas law. Also, inside the balloon, the liquid water is, of course, not an ideal gas. You would use the bulk modulus of water to calculate how much the volume changes if the pressure changes by a couple of psi. You can find the bulk modulus of water by Googleing it (as I did).

Chet

1. What is fluid mechanics modeling?

Fluid mechanics modeling is the process of using mathematical equations and computer simulations to study and predict the behavior of fluids, such as liquids and gases. It involves applying principles from physics and mathematics to analyze the motion and interactions of fluids in various systems.

2. What are the applications of fluid mechanics modeling?

Fluid mechanics modeling has a wide range of applications, including in the fields of engineering, environmental science, and biology. It is used to study and design systems involving fluid flow, such as pumps, turbines, and pipelines. It is also used to understand natural phenomena, such as weather patterns and ocean currents, and to study the behavior of fluids in biological systems, such as blood flow in the human body.

3. How is fluid mechanics modeling different from other types of modeling?

Fluid mechanics modeling is unique in that it involves the study of a continuously changing substance. Unlike solid objects, fluids can change shape and flow, making them more complex to model. Additionally, fluid mechanics modeling often requires the use of complex mathematical equations and computer simulations to accurately predict the behavior of fluids.

4. What are the challenges of fluid mechanics modeling?

One of the main challenges of fluid mechanics modeling is the complexity of fluid behavior. Fluids can exhibit turbulent flow, which is difficult to accurately simulate and predict. Additionally, there are many variables that can affect fluid behavior, such as temperature, pressure, and viscosity, making it challenging to create a comprehensive model.

5. How is fluid mechanics modeling used in research and development?

Fluid mechanics modeling is an essential tool in research and development. It allows scientists and engineers to test and optimize designs before physically building them, saving time and resources. It also allows for the study of complex systems that may be difficult or impossible to observe in real life. By accurately predicting fluid behavior, fluid mechanics modeling helps to improve the efficiency and performance of various systems and processes.