Fluid mechanics observation relative to neodymium magnets question.

In summary, the video you shared helps to illustrate the arrangement and motion of magnetic fields, and the stability of the hexagon shape can be attributed to the interaction of magnetic fields and the tendency of the magnetic field to seek the path of least resistance. Your fluid concept of magnetism is interesting, but further research and evidence is needed to support it.
Ntstanch
Watch this video first, please. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ghBUcQG1lQ&feature=related ).

I had been imagining magnetism in general as fluid motion and not like it is portrayed now days for the last few years. Disregarding the hundreds of notes and all that, what I did notice was this video along with my idea of all forms of magnetism being fluid like in their nature. For this example (relative to this video) I took six once inch long 1/5th diameter cylindrical magnets and aligned them to where they established and held the shape of the fluid mechanics past stationary cylinders from the video link.

The video helps illustrate the arrangement of the cylindrical magnets. It's Like if 1 = north and south = 0 ... the hexagonal arrangement turns up 1-0-1-0-1-0, in a ring. Like in the video, you have the northern most vortex spinning clockwise, and the southern most (degree wise) moving counter clockwise. So 1 = North and 0 = South. With that, in the video for certain, the 1-0-1-0-1-0 (in a ring) exchanges energy well and maintains its structure because of that exchange of motion and the direction, energy.

So with that, when you go from the fluids to the actual hexagon arrangement of magnets, you have a non-changing structure in the 1-0-1-0-1-0 ring arrangement. They form up and hold just like the fluids in the video. But what is confusing is that on the opposite end of the cylinder magnets you have 0-1-0-1-0-1 ring (and motion arrangement). In the video fluid example I think that, if you were to mirror the motion, you would obviously achieve the same results.

So considering the magnets... on one side the magnets are in the 1-0-1-0-1-0 ring and the bottom of that is the 0-1-0-1-0-1 arrangement (opposite vortex motion for both poles). This opposite motion sustains the forces and keeps the magnets in that hexagon shape, like in the video. I've shown this to plenty of educated technical college students and an atmospheric professor, but the problem is always the same. What keeps the magnets snug in that hexagon shape? Not just in my fluid concept of magnetism, but in the traditional sense of electromagnetic fields being arranged like this, and holding their shape for as long as no one messes around with them beyond holding them/poking them.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and observations on magnetism and its fluid-like nature. The video you have shared is certainly interesting and helps to visualize the arrangement and motion of magnetic fields.

Regarding your question about what keeps the magnets in the hexagon shape, it is important to understand that the magnetic field is a force field created by the movement of charged particles. In the case of permanent magnets, the movement of electrons within the material creates a magnetic field that is aligned in a specific direction. When multiple magnets are arranged in a specific pattern, such as the hexagon shape, their magnetic fields interact with each other to create a stable structure.

In addition, the magnetic field is constantly seeking the path of least resistance, which is why it aligns itself in a specific direction. This behavior also contributes to the stability of the hexagon shape.

I would also like to mention that while your fluid concept of magnetism is intriguing, it is important to note that the current scientific understanding of magnetism is based on the laws of electromagnetism and the behavior of charged particles. The fluid-like behavior you have described may not align with these laws and would require further research and evidence to be accepted in the scientific community.

Thank you for your contribution to the discussion on magnetism. I encourage you to continue exploring and questioning the world around us. It is through curiosity and inquiry that we make new discoveries and advancements in science.

What is the relationship between fluid mechanics and neodymium magnets?

The relationship between fluid mechanics and neodymium magnets lies in the concept of magnetohydrodynamics, where the motion of a conductive fluid is influenced by a magnetic field. In the case of neodymium magnets, the strong magnetic field can affect the flow of a fluid and cause interesting phenomena to occur.

How do neodymium magnets affect the flow of a fluid?

The strong magnetic field of neodymium magnets can create a force on electrically charged particles in a fluid, causing them to move in a specific direction. This can result in changes in the flow pattern and velocity of the fluid.

Can neodymium magnets be used to manipulate fluid flow in practical applications?

Yes, neodymium magnets can be used in various practical applications such as in pumps, mixers, and filters. The magnetic force can be used to control the flow of fluids in these systems, making them more efficient and precise.

What are some examples of fluid mechanics phenomena that involve neodymium magnets?

One example is the magnetorotational instability, where a fluid in a rotating system becomes unstable due to the combination of rotation and a magnetic field. Another example is the magnetohydrodynamic generator, where a fluid is used to generate electricity through the interaction with a magnetic field.

Are there any safety concerns when working with neodymium magnets and fluids?

Yes, there can be safety concerns when handling strong neodymium magnets and fluids. The magnets can attract and trap ferromagnetic objects in the fluid, potentially causing injury. It is important to handle these materials carefully and to follow safety protocols when working with them.