Fluid Statics: Difference Between Force Formulas

In summary, the difference between force formulas in fluid statics is based on the type of fluid being studied, with incompressible fluids relying on pressure and compressible fluids relying on density. The force formula is derived from static equilibrium principles and can be used to analyze and design structures in various industries. It can be applied to both liquids and gases and takes into account pressure, density, and velocity. Common misconceptions include its applicability only to liquids and its consideration of weight.
physocs1

Homework Statement

What is the difference between these two formulas

Homework Equations

1.Force=rho*g*h*area
2. Force=rho*g*volume
3. Force=rho*height*Area
Where rho= specific weight of fluid

The Attempt at a Solution

I am guessing that 2 is for sphere or cylinders
and for 3 i think it is for flat surfaces
but 1 i don't know if its a combination of both??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi physocs1. I'm wondering is this a homework question? Or where has this question arisen?

Please PM me with your answer, so I can decide whether to reopen this thread or leave it locked.

1. What is the difference between force formulas in fluid statics?

The difference between force formulas in fluid statics lies in the type of fluid being studied. For incompressible fluids, the force formula is based on the pressure at a point, while for compressible fluids, it is based on the density at a point. Additionally, the force formula for a fluid in motion will also take into account the velocity of the fluid.

2. How is the force formula derived in fluid statics?

The force formula in fluid statics is derived from the fundamental principles of static equilibrium. These include the fact that the net force on a stationary fluid must be zero and that the pressure at any point within the fluid is equal in all directions. By applying these principles, the force formula can be derived for different types of fluids and scenarios.

3. What are the units of measurement for the force formula in fluid statics?

The units of measurement for the force formula in fluid statics will depend on the type of fluid being studied and the system of units being used. Generally, the force formula will have units of force, such as newtons or pounds, as it represents the force exerted by the fluid on a surface.

4. How is the force formula applied in real-world scenarios?

The force formula in fluid statics is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze and design structures that come into contact with fluids, such as dams, pipelines, and ships. It can also be used to calculate the buoyant force on objects submerged in a fluid, such as ships or submarines. Understanding the force formula is crucial for designing safe and efficient structures in various industries.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the force formula in fluid statics?

One common misconception about the force formula in fluid statics is that it only applies to liquids. In reality, the force formula can be applied to both liquids and gases, as long as the fluid is in a state of static equilibrium. Another misconception is that the force formula only considers the weight of the fluid, when in fact it also takes into account the pressure at a point and the density of the fluid. It is important to understand the underlying principles and assumptions behind the force formula in order to use it accurately.