1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluids-Pressure. Help needed

1. Jan 5, 2005 #1
    Fluids--Pressure. Help needed...

I've read the chapter in my book on fluids but I'm still not understanding my homework... I have a few problems that are--from what I can tell--the basic concepts of what all of the other problems are based off of. If someone could tell me how I need to go about doing these, it would be a great help. I'm not asking you to do my homework for me; just point me in the right direction with examples/explanations on why what does what so I can understand this stuff a little bit better.

If someone could help me out with one or both of these problems, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. Given : both exert the same pressure. What is the definition of pressure ?

2. How do you find the pressure in a liquid column, at some particular height ?

4. Jan 5, 2005 #3
    P=F/A

...but the I would have F/A=F/A and I don't know anything for either side of the equation..?

...and number 2 I might be able to work out, I'll just have to give it some time...

5. Jan 5, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. A = area of contact. What is the shape of this area in both cases ? What is the formula for the area of this shape ?

F = force. What is the force due to ? What is the formula for this force ?

2. Simply Googling "pressure in liquid column" will get you started, but really, this should be covered in your text.

6. Jan 6, 2005 #5
    Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?