Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Fluids-Pressure. Help needed

1. Jan 5, 2005 #1
    Fluids--Pressure. Help needed...

I've read the chapter in my book on fluids but I'm still not understanding my homework... I have a few problems that are--from what I can tell--the basic concepts of what all of the other problems are based off of. If someone could tell me how I need to go about doing these, it would be a great help. I'm not asking you to do my homework for me; just point me in the right direction with examples/explanations on why what does what so I can understand this stuff a little bit better.

If someone could help me out with one or both of these problems, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. Given : both exert the same pressure. What is the definition of pressure ?

2. How do you find the pressure in a liquid column, at some particular height ?

4. Jan 5, 2005 #3
    P=F/A

...but the I would have F/A=F/A and I don't know anything for either side of the equation..?

...and number 2 I might be able to work out, I'll just have to give it some time...

5. Jan 5, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. A = area of contact. What is the shape of this area in both cases ? What is the formula for the area of this shape ?

F = force. What is the force due to ? What is the formula for this force ?

2. Simply Googling "pressure in liquid column" will get you started, but really, this should be covered in your text.

6. Jan 6, 2005 #5
    Thanks for the help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook