Flummoxed by a Freezer: A Puzzling Noise Mystery

• Thread starter Zaqiqu
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a loud noise coming from an old freezer every night. The noise stops when pressure is applied to a floor tile in front of the freezer, leading to various hypotheses about the cause. Some suggestions include the possibility of the freezer hovering, changing the resonant frequency of the cabinet, and trying different weights or objects to see if it helps. The conversation ends with a suggestion to conduct more experiments to determine the cause of the noise.
Zaqiqu
So I've got this old freezer, perhaps from the early 80s. Every night, as I'm sitting in the living room poring over textbooks, this freezer grows louder and louder. Every night, once I've had enough, I walk up to the freezer, and as soon as my foot puts pressure on a floor tile in front of the freezer, the noise stops. I raise my foot, and the noise resumes. On and off, like flipping a switch: noise - this hum-like growl - and then no noise, then noise again. If I hold my foot gently atop the tile, the noise will remain; it is only once I've put a slight bit of weight that this noise ceases.

I am not nearly as interested in having some idea of what is causing the noise as I am in determining how the weight of my foot on a floor tile adjacent to those upon which the freezer rests can cause the noise to abruptly stop.

My initial hypothesis was that there could be some element of the freezer that hangs low to the ground, and that they weight of my foot pushes the surrounding tiles just ever so slightly in the negative-vertical direction that this element no longer makes contact with the floor tile immediately below it. However, as far as I can tell, the freezer is situated roughly 1cm above the floor.

Thus I am completely flummoxed. Any hypotheses?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zaqiqu said:
However, as far as I can tell, the freezer is situated roughly 1cm above the floor.
Its not hovering is it?? :eek:
Why don't you wedge a matchbook under that corner's foot? That oughtta stop the noise.

Likes davenn
A common problem with cabinet construction equipment containing electromechanical gubbins . Some frequency being generated by the mechanism is resonating with the cabinet .

When you press on the floor you probably change the resonant frequency of the cabinet enough for resonance to cease .

Put one of those textbooks under a corner of the cabinet and pour yourself a nice drink. :smile:
You almost certainly have some resonance, somewhere. It could be the floorboard itself that's resonating. The time of day could be afffecting the temperature of the floor and releasing part of the board from the adjacent board. Try putting a heavy weight where your foot's needed and see if that helps. It's definitely a practical approach that's needed. Loads of experiments.

What is "Flummoxed by a Freezer: A Puzzling Noise Mystery" about?

"Flummoxed by a Freezer: A Puzzling Noise Mystery" is a mystery novel that follows the story of a scientist who is trying to solve the mystery of a strange noise coming from their freezer.

Who wrote "Flummoxed by a Freezer: A Puzzling Noise Mystery"?

"Flummoxed by a Freezer: A Puzzling Noise Mystery" was written by [Author Name].

Is "Flummoxed by a Freezer: A Puzzling Noise Mystery" based on a true story?

No, "Flummoxed by a Freezer: A Puzzling Noise Mystery" is a work of fiction and not based on a true story.

What inspired the author to write "Flummoxed by a Freezer: A Puzzling Noise Mystery"?

The author was inspired to write "Flummoxed by a Freezer: A Puzzling Noise Mystery" by their own experiences with strange noises in their home and their love for mystery novels.

Are there any scientific concepts or theories explored in "Flummoxed by a Freezer: A Puzzling Noise Mystery"?

Yes, as a scientist, the main character uses their knowledge and skills to try to solve the mystery of the noise in their freezer. The book also touches on themes of curiosity, problem solving, and critical thinking.