Electrostatic/electromagnetic noise and conductive area

In summary: If you are considering the electric guitar, the electric field is the important one. Electromagnetic fields are created by sources of electrical energy, and they can interact with matter.The electric field of the guitar creates a magnetic field around it. This magnetic field interacts with the magnetic field of the power supply. The two fields combine and create the electromagnetic waves that are being sent through the cable to your amp.The magnetic field of the guitar also interacts with the electric field of your body. This interaction creates a capacitive coupling between your body and the guitar. This capacitive coupling causes the electric field of your guitar to be amplified and sent through the cable to your amp.In summary, touching the strings of the
Landru
I play electric guitar, and electromagnetic noise is a big concern for us.

There are two types of noise, those that arrive as magnetic fields and those that arrive as electrical fields. This web page is a resource from which I've derived this understanding http://members.ozemail.com.au/~tabbler/GndRule/GndM02.html and it says that the source of noise and the circuit of subject (the electric guitar) can be thought of as two plates in a huge capacitor. The guitar and the source of the noise are on the same electrical circuit, so they guitar, and the wiring in the house capacitively couple, so the noise source capacitively inflicts a voltage upon the guitar, thus creating audible noise.

My first question is, is the above interpretation correct?

My second question is... guitarists know, and rely upon, the fact that touching the guitar strings and becoming a part of the "ground" side of the circuit greatly reduces noise. Is the reason that touching the string, and becoming part of the "ground" conductive area, reduces the noise because you are essentially making your side of this capacitor much larger, and by making that "capacitive plate" very large, you give the source of noise something to capacitively couple with other than the guitar's wiring on the "hot" side of the circuit?

The inverse seems to be true also: if you somehow touch the positive side of the guitar's wiring (like when you're fiddling with the electronics) , the noise suddenly becomes louder. It seems to me that once again you are making the capacitive plate that is you and the guitar, much larger, but now you are imposing the additional voltage on the "hot" or un-shielded side of the circuit, thereby making it louder.

Am I understanding what is happening correctly?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Landru said:
My first question is, is the above interpretation correct?
As a beginner you are on the right path. But it is a generalisation of an over simplified system.

All energy travels as electromagnetic waves, that is, as an intimately coupled electric and magnetic field. For a simple analysis you can ignore one of them. The mode of analysis you select can be electric or magnetic, you will probably decide which to use based on the type of “pick-up” or “antenna” that is being influenced.

1. What is electrostatic/electromagnetic noise?

Electrostatic and electromagnetic noise refers to unwanted electrical signals that can interfere with the proper functioning of electronic devices. This noise can come from various sources, including power lines, electronic devices, and natural phenomena such as lightning.

2. How does electrostatic/electromagnetic noise affect electronic devices?

Electrostatic and electromagnetic noise can disrupt the normal operation of electronic devices by introducing unwanted signals into their circuitry. This can result in errors, malfunctions, and even complete failure of the device.

3. What are some common sources of electrostatic/electromagnetic noise?

Some common sources of electrostatic and electromagnetic noise include power lines, electronic devices, radio and television signals, and natural phenomena such as lightning and solar flares. Even small household appliances and electronic devices can emit some level of noise.

4. How can I reduce electrostatic/electromagnetic noise in my electronic devices?

There are several ways to reduce electrostatic and electromagnetic noise in electronic devices. These include using shielded cables, placing devices away from potential sources of noise, using surge protectors, and grounding devices properly. Additionally, using filters and ferrite cores can help to reduce noise in power and signal lines.

5. What is a conductive area and how does it affect electrostatic/electromagnetic noise?

A conductive area is a surface or material that can easily conduct electricity. In the context of electrostatic and electromagnetic noise, conductive areas can act as antennas, picking up and amplifying unwanted signals. Proper shielding and grounding of conductive areas can help to reduce the effects of noise on electronic devices.