1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux integral over ellipsoidal surface

1. Jan 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am having trouble with part iii) of the following problem:

Verify the divergence theorem for the function ##\vec{u} = (xy,- y^2, + z)## and the surface enclosed by the three parts:
    (i) ##z = 0, x^2+y^2 < 1##,
    (ii) ##x^2+y^2 = 1, 0 \le z \le 1## and
    (iii) ##(a^2-1)x^2+(a^2-1)y^2+z^2 = a^2 , 1 \le z \le a, a > 1##.

2. Relevant equations

Divergence theorem:

##\int_V\vec{ \nabla}\cdot\vec{u}~dV=\oint_{\partial v}\vec{u}\cdot\vec{dS}##

3. The attempt at a solution

The boundaries in iii) describe part of an ellipsoid. Rewrite the equation as follows:
    ##\frac{x^2}{(\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2-1}})^2}+\frac{y^2}{(\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2-1}})^2}+\frac{z^2}{a^2}=1##

LHS## = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_1^a\int_0^{\frac{z^2-a^2}{1-a^2}}\vec{ \nabla}\cdot\vec{u}~\rho~ d\rho ~dz ~d\theta##
    ##~~~~ = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_1^a\int_0^{\frac{z^2-a^2}{1-a^2}}\rho - \rho^2\sin{\theta}~ d\rho ~dz ~d\theta##
    ##~~~~=\frac{4\pi}{1-a^2}##

I think that is correct... maybe someone can check my setup.

I'm stuck with the RHS.. I tried to use cylindrical coordinates and it got ugly quickly, I tried to use generalised spherical coordinates but it got ugly equally as fast. I expect the process to be somewhat ugly, but mine is so much I feel for certain i'm doing something wrong. I'll give a brief overview of my strategy:

For cylindrical coordinates I tried to parameterize it as follows: ##\vec{r}(\theta,z)=(\frac{z^2-a^2}{1-a^2}\cos{\theta},\frac{z^2-a^2}{1-a^2}\sin{\theta},z)##. For starters im not even sure if this is right. I then get the normal vector to this by computing: ##\vec{n}=\frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial \theta}\times\frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial z}##. Computing this and normalising i get: ##\hat{n}=\frac{(\cos{\theta},\sin{\theta},\frac{-2z}{1-a^2})}{\sqrt{1+\frac{4z^2}{(1-a^2)}}}##.Plugging all of this into the flux integral looks extremely messy and I don't think I will be able to do the integral. So I abort and resort to spherical coordinates...

For spherical coordinates I tried to parameterize it as follows: ##\vec{r}(\theta,\phi)= (\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2-1}}\sin{\theta}\cos{\phi},\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2-1}}\sin{\theta}\sin{\phi},a\cos{\theta})## and the rest of the story goes like the cylindrical one..Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2016 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't understand your use of ##s##. What is part (ii) ##s = 1, 0 \le z \le 1## supposed to describe?

4. Jan 19, 2016 #3
    I find the notation confusing too, this is my lecturers not mine. I assumed ##s^2=x^2+y^2## though out and hence ii) describes a cylinder of radius 1 and height 1.

5. Jan 19, 2016 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If part (ii) is supposed to be ##x^2+y^2 = 1,~0\le z \le 1 ## then write it that way. Then while you are at it, write part (iii) out so it makes sense. Is part (i) supposed to be ##0\le x^2 + y^2 \le 1,~z = 0## ?

6. Jan 19, 2016 #5
    Apologies, I thought I might have been interpreting it in the wrong way so I left it just in case. I have amended the original post. And yes i) is the unit disk in the xy plane.

7. Jan 19, 2016 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, that makes more sense. So for part (iii) if you let ##b^2 = \frac{a^2}{a^2-1}## your equation is$$
    \frac{x^2}{b^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}+\frac{z^2}{a^2} = 1$$I haven't worked it out, but what I would try is$$
    x = b\sin\phi\cos\theta,~y = b\sin\phi\sin\theta,~z = a\cos\phi$$

Edit, added: @pondzo: I realized after I posted this that it is what you tried for generalized spherical coordinates. For what it's worth, I calculated the integral with Maple and got$$
    \frac{2\pi}{3}\left(\frac{a^6\sqrt{2a^2-1}}{(a^2-1)(1-2a^2)^2} \right)$$for (iii).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted