Flux of vector field F = xi + yj + zk across S

In summary, your calculations appear to be correct, but you may have made an error when you filled in r=3.
schmiggy

Homework Statement

I've attached an image with the entire question.

Homework Equations

Attached an image with relevant equations. Can't use Gauss' Divergence

The Attempt at a Solution

In the attached image I've also included the start of my calculations, I just need to see if my double integral is correct.. if it is I can easily compute it, and have done so.. however the answer I got made me doubt my working.

Naturally I would replace the x and y with rcos(theta) and rsin(theta) respectively which would become 2r^2, as cos^2(theta) + sin^2(theta) = 1.

Anyway, the answer I got using the double integral in the attached image was 384pi and can't help but feel like I'm way off. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• flux of vector field.jpg
    flux of vector field.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,091
Physics news on Phys.org
schmiggy said:

Homework Statement

I've attached an image with the entire question.

Homework Equations

Attached an image with relevant equations. Can't use Gauss' Divergence

The Attempt at a Solution

In the attached image I've also included the start of my calculations, I just need to see if my double integral is correct.. if it is I can easily compute it, and have done so.. however the answer I got made me doubt my working.

Naturally I would replace the x and y with rcos(theta) and rsin(theta) respectively which would become 2r^2, as cos^2(theta) + sin^2(theta) = 1.

Anyway, the answer I got using the double integral in the attached image was 384pi and can't help but feel like I'm way off. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Welcome to PF, schmiggy! :smile:

Your calculations look fine, except for your upper boundary for r.
How did you get the upper boundary 4 for r?
What is the corresponding z value?

Hi, thanks for the reply (and the welcome! :))

Ahh, I think I see the problem.. at least I hope I do.. or that might be embarrassing!

Regarding the upper boundary for r, it must occur when z is at it's minimum, which in this case is 7.. therefor upper limit for r is 3.

I feel like I'm still going wrong somewhere.. like I'm missing something very basic.. I've attached my full working and hopefully you can see something I'm missing.. Thanks again!

Well, you're not going wrong anywhere... but you did not finish the calculation...

Apparently you did get 384pi, which does correspond to an upper boundary of r=4.

For some reason it looks like my image didn't get uploaded.. hopefully it works this time.. these are my current calculations.

Attachments

• take 2.jpg
    take 2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 506
All fine... except for a calculation error when you filled in r=3.

uggghhh... I calculated 3^3 instead of 3^4, it's late and I'm getting sloppy.. thanks for the pick up.

Final answer (369pi)/2??

Yep! :approve:

Phew! Thanks! Might take the rest of the night off I think.. if I'm missing those little errors it's time to stop!

Thanks again!

1. What is flux of a vector field?

The flux of a vector field is a measure of the flow of a vector field through a surface or boundary. It represents the amount of fluid, energy, or other quantity passing through a given surface.

2. How is flux calculated?

Flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector to the surface, and then integrating this product over the surface. It can also be calculated using the divergence theorem, which relates the flux to the divergence of the vector field.

3. What is the unit of flux?

The unit of flux depends on the units of the vector field and the surface. In general, it has the units of the quantity being measured per unit area.

4. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a type of integral where the function being integrated is evaluated over a surface rather than a one-dimensional interval. It is used to calculate quantities such as flux, surface area, and surface charge.

5. How is the flux of a vector field across a surface related to the concept of flow rate?

The flux of a vector field across a surface is directly related to the flow rate of the vector field through that surface. The higher the flux, the greater the flow rate. This relationship is described by the flux formula, which states that flux is equal to the flow rate multiplied by the surface area.