1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux through oddly shaped cylinder

1. Dec 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    gPaSNs4.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Here are my attempt.
    The top is when i tried using cylindrical coordinates. Instead of using dA=(cosθ i +sinθj)rdzdθ
    I used (cosθ i +sinθk)rdydθ since the cylinder is going along the y axis rather than z.
    The bottom is when i tried using dA=(-fx i - fy +k)dx dy

The oddly shaped cylinder is what's throwing me off.

1jeQBHT.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

I would suggest setting
    [tex]
    x = \frac 12 u \cos v \\
    z = u \sin v
    [/tex]
    for [itex]u \geq 0[/itex], [itex]v \in [0, 2\pi][/itex] so that [itex]4x^2 + z^2 = u^2[/itex].

4. Dec 10, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't seem to have a firm grasp on "surface integrals". For one thing, there is no "r" here. If, as you appear to be doing, you want to use polar (it's certainly what I would do) then to get "[itex]4x^2+ z^2= 1[/itex]", you will need to use [itex]x= (1/2) cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]z= sin(\theta)[/itex] (with [itex]\theta[/itex] from [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/tex] to keep z positive). That way, when x is squared, the "1/2" squared will cancel the "4". Of course, we can just take y= t, say, from -1 to 1 (or just keep "y" as the parameter).

With [itex]x= (1/2)cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= t[/itex], [itex]z= sin(\theta)[/itex] then we can write a "position vector" for any point on the surface as [itex]\vec{r}= (1/2)cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ t\vec{j}+ sin(\theta)\vec{k}[/itex] in terms of the two parameters t and [itex]\theta[/itex].

The derivatives, with respect to t and [itex]\theta[/itex]
    [tex]\vec{r}_t= \vec{j}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{r}_\theta= -(1/2)sin(\theta)\vec{i}+ cos(\theta)\vec{k}[/tex]
    are tangent to the surface.

The cross product of those vectors, [itex]cos(\theta)\vec{i}- (1/2)sin(\theta)\vec{k}[/itex], is perpendicular to the surface and gives the "vector differential of surface area", [itex]d\vec{A}= (cos(\theta)\vec{i}- (1/2)sin(\theta)\vec{k})d\theta dt[/itex]

The integrand vector is [itex]2xy^2z\vec{i}+ 2cos(z)\vec{j}+ 3\vec{k}[/itex] which, in terms of t and [itex]\theta[/itex] is [itex]cos(\theta)sin(\theta)t^2\vec{i}+ 2cos(sin(\theta))\vec{j} + 3\vec{k}[/itex] so that the integral becomes
    [tex]\int_{t= -1}^1\int_{\theta= -\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \left(cos^2(\theta)sin(\theta)t^2- \frac{3}{2} sin(\theta)\right)d\theta dt[/tex]
    [tex]= \left(\int_{-1}^1 t^2dt\right)\left(i\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} cos^2(\theta)sin(\theta)d\theta\right)- \frac{3}{2}\left(\int_{-1}^1 dt\right)\right(\int_{-\pi/2}{\pi/2} sin(\theta) d\theta\right)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted