Flux through oddly shaped cylinder

In summary, the top equation uses cylindrical coordinates and the bottom equation uses Cartesian coordinates. Despite the weirdly shaped cylinder throwing off the results, both equations produce the same surface area. The top equation uses dA=(cosθ i +sinθj)rdzdθ and the bottom equation uses dA=(-fx i - fy +k)dx dy.
Painguy

Homework Statement

gPaSNs4.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are my attempt.
The top is when i tried using cylindrical coordinates. Instead of using dA=(cosθ i +sinθj)rdzdθ
I used (cosθ i +sinθk)rdydθ since the cylinder is going along the y-axis rather than z.
The bottom is when i tried using dA=(-fx i - fy +k)dx dy

The oddly shaped cylinder is what's throwing me off.

1jeQBHT.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest setting
[tex]
x = \frac 12 u \cos v \\
z = u \sin v
[/tex]
for [itex]u \geq 0[/itex], [itex]v \in [0, 2\pi][/itex] so that [itex]4x^2 + z^2 = u^2[/itex].

You don't seem to have a firm grasp on "surface integrals". For one thing, there is no "r" here. If, as you appear to be doing, you want to use polar (it's certainly what I would do) then to get "[itex]4x^2+ z^2= 1[/itex]", you will need to use [itex]x= (1/2) cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]z= sin(\theta)[/itex] (with [itex]\theta[/itex] from [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/tex] to keep z positive). That way, when x is squared, the "1/2" squared will cancel the "4". Of course, we can just take y= t, say, from -1 to 1 (or just keep "y" as the parameter).

With [itex]x= (1/2)cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= t[/itex], [itex]z= sin(\theta)[/itex] then we can write a "position vector" for any point on the surface as [itex]\vec{r}= (1/2)cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ t\vec{j}+ sin(\theta)\vec{k}[/itex] in terms of the two parameters t and [itex]\theta[/itex].

The derivatives, with respect to t and [itex]\theta[/itex]
[tex]\vec{r}_t= \vec{j}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{r}_\theta= -(1/2)sin(\theta)\vec{i}+ cos(\theta)\vec{k}[/tex]
are tangent to the surface.

The cross product of those vectors, [itex]cos(\theta)\vec{i}- (1/2)sin(\theta)\vec{k}[/itex], is perpendicular to the surface and gives the "vector differential of surface area", [itex]d\vec{A}= (cos(\theta)\vec{i}- (1/2)sin(\theta)\vec{k})d\theta dt[/itex]

The integrand vector is [itex]2xy^2z\vec{i}+ 2cos(z)\vec{j}+ 3\vec{k}[/itex] which, in terms of t and [itex]\theta[/itex] is [itex]cos(\theta)sin(\theta)t^2\vec{i}+ 2cos(sin(\theta))\vec{j} + 3\vec{k}[/itex] so that the integral becomes
[tex]\int_{t= -1}^1\int_{\theta= -\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \left(cos^2(\theta)sin(\theta)t^2- \frac{3}{2} sin(\theta)\right)d\theta dt[/tex]
[tex]= \left(\int_{-1}^1 t^2dt\right)\left(i\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} cos^2(\theta)sin(\theta)d\theta\right)- \frac{3}{2}\left(\int_{-1}^1 dt\right)\right(\int_{-\pi/2}{\pi/2} sin(\theta) d\theta\right)[/tex]

1. What is flux through an oddly shaped cylinder?

The flux through an oddly shaped cylinder is a measure of the amount of a physical quantity (such as heat, electricity, or magnetic field) passing through the surface of the cylinder. It is a useful concept in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How is flux through an oddly shaped cylinder calculated?

The flux through an oddly shaped cylinder can be calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field passing through the surface and the area vector of the surface. This can be expressed mathematically as a surface integral.

3. What factors affect the flux through an oddly shaped cylinder?

The flux through an oddly shaped cylinder is affected by the shape and orientation of the cylinder, the strength and direction of the vector field passing through it, and the size and shape of the surface being considered.

4. Can flux through an oddly shaped cylinder be negative?

Yes, the flux through an oddly shaped cylinder can be negative. This indicates that the vector field is passing through the surface in the opposite direction of the area vector. It is important to consider the sign of the flux when interpreting its physical significance.

5. How is flux through an oddly shaped cylinder used in real-world applications?

Flux through an oddly shaped cylinder is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating the flow of heat or electricity through a particular surface, or determining the strength and orientation of a magnetic field. It is also used in fluid dynamics to study the flow of fluids through pipes and channels of irregular shapes.