Montague Folding Bikes: Reviews and Advice Needed

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Folding
In summary, the conversation focused on the potential purchase of a Montague folding bike for use in a bigger city. The individual had concerns about the sturdiness and folding capabilities of the bike and was seeking advice from others who have experience with Montague bikes. Some suggested alternative options, such as a BMX or a regular bike, while others shared their personal experiences with folding bikes. The conversation also touched on the practicality of using a folding bike for commuting and the possibility of taking it on public transportation. A survey and website were also mentioned as potential resources for more information on folding bikes.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm thinking about getting one of these Montague folding bikes, since I plan on moving to a bigger city and may not have a car:

http://www.montagueco.com/bikes/dx-folding-bike.html

Has anyone ever used one of these bikes? I never liked folding bikes before since they either looked strange or seemed to not be very sturdy. These bikes have neither problem from the looks of them and the reviews, but I'd like some other opinions before I order one.

Are they sturdy?

How quickly do they really fold?

How much stress can they handle? (I'm vaguely worried about the folding joint giving out while on a ride.)

If anyone who has had any experience with Montague Bikes can offer any advice, that would be really appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a Dahon folding bike. I like it, but it is not as easy to fold and unfold as they make it look. (It takes me 2-3 minutes). Watch out for pinches while you're doing it! The folding joints lock and hold well, though. My handlebars, frame, and pedals all fold, and the seat can be detached.

The folding bikes that I have looked at are not that light, which is a disadvantage for their portability. Mine is about 26 pounds.

What's wrong with just a regular bike?

You need to determine if you actually need a folding bike or not. If you don't, don't get one.

You can always get a BMX, and just get a higher seat. Depends how big you are. And, it will be lighter, still small, and as sturdy as you can get. (I doubt you'll be throwing it around like a BMXer should be doing.)

I have my scooter. I used to own a BMX for traveling around. It's fun if you know small little tricks. I had a speedometer on it, but you couldn't tell I had one. I had it set up not to get in the way of anything. I sold it to someone else and he didn't notice it. (He was thrilled to own a top notch BMX from the year 2001 in near perfect condition. My tricks are that big. ;) ) My average speed was like 22km/h. So that's good for a BMX.

Now, with my scooter, I average 55km/h. :P

I seem to remember a review of the folder in the ad - it's meant more for occasional folding, like packing for vacations or storing in an aprtment rather than getting on-off the train everyday.

I have a cheap dahon clone - it's not great, it doesn't fold that well and it's a poor ride.
If you can afford it the Brompton is the ultimate, it's a great ride and folds down to be airline carry on.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I'm really set on a mountain bike as opposed to a BMX. I find BMX bikes less comfortable to ride. Of course, that may be because I am a taller guy.

I was considering a folding bike because I am probably going to be living in a small apartment next year. I'll need as much space as possible. Also the folding ability will give me the ability to avoid leaving the bike outside at work. I don't mind it if my bike takes 2 minutes to fold. That's not too bad, especially if no tools are involved as with these Montague bikes.

I've seen one used in the Baltimore area for daily use (since the woman commuted to work on the train, which didn't allow non-folding bikes on it). She said she's really prefer a non-folding bike... but catching the train with this thing was better than driving for both environmental purposes and for the worry about parking, traffic, etc.

For "bigger city" you may want to consider whether you'd be taking this thing on public transport (on the front of buses, in the under-carry storage of buses, or inside subways or rail)... and see what the regulations are for the city you're going to be in. I've always liked my aluminum hybrid frame... I got a great deal on it (~200-300 bucks, new) at the time since the store was unloading its GT stock (I think GT was getting out of the hybrid-line business).

PS. -- I still had room for it in a 400sq ft. 1-bedroom apt. I kept it in my bedroom, which had a sliding glass door to a back porch... and I was on the ground floor. Nicer apt than it sounds... since its front porch had room for a three-seat metal table (with room to spare). Great for having friends over in the summer.

Last edited:
For my final thesis at the University of Canberra (Australia) in combination with the Delft University of Technology (the Netherlands) I am executing a research on foldable bicycles used for commuting. For this purpose I made a survey with a few questions concerning foldable bicycles. It would be of great help if you could help me by filling in this survey. For the survey it doesn’t matter whether you possesses a foldable bicycle or not.
http://www.thesistools.com/?qid=73617&ln=eng

Thanks in advance!
Rien Schuurhuis

mgb_phys said:

Very helpful! Thanks mgb_phys.

Also, I realized Montague is based out of Cambridge, MA. I will be in Boston this week and I think I'm going to try to see one of their bikes in person. If I like it, I may end up buying. We'll see what happens.

1. What are the benefits of using a Montague folding bike?

Montague folding bikes are known for their versatility and convenience. They are perfect for commuters and travelers as they can easily be folded up and stored in small spaces. They also offer a smooth and comfortable ride, with many models featuring full-size wheels for better stability and speed. Additionally, Montague bikes are built with high-quality materials, making them durable and long-lasting.

2. How does the folding mechanism on Montague bikes work?

Montague bikes use a patented folding system called CLIX, which allows the bike to be folded in less than 20 seconds. The process involves releasing the front wheel and handlebars from the frame, folding the bike in half, and securing it with the quick-release levers. This mechanism is easy to use and ensures a secure and compact fold for easy transportation.

3. Are Montague folding bikes suitable for all types of terrain?

Montague offers a range of folding bikes designed for different types of terrain. Some models are more suited for urban commuting, while others are built for off-road adventures. All Montague bikes are equipped with high-quality components, including suspension systems, to ensure a smooth ride on various terrains. It's essential to choose a model that best suits your riding needs.

4. How do Montague folding bikes compare to traditional bikes?

Montague folding bikes offer many advantages over traditional bikes. They are more compact and can easily be stored in small spaces, making them ideal for city dwellers or those with limited storage space. Additionally, they are often built with high-quality materials and components, making them just as durable and reliable as traditional bikes. However, they may be slightly heavier due to the added mechanisms for folding.

5. Are there any tips for maintaining a Montague folding bike?

To ensure your Montague folding bike stays in top condition, it's essential to regularly clean and lubricate the moving parts. It's also important to check for any loose or damaged components and to make any necessary adjustments or repairs. It's recommended to store the bike in a dry place when not in use and to avoid exposing it to extreme weather conditions. It's also a good idea to have your bike professionally serviced at least once a year.