Is This Inequality Solvable for Positive Variables?

• Thread starter evagelos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses a difficult inequality and various approaches to solving it, including using mean inequalities and algebraic manipulation. The participants also mention resources for learning about inequalities and provide tips for solving them. The conversation ends with a discussion about using the rearrangement inequality to solve the problem.
evagelos
can some body help me with the following inequality.

...x/(y+z) +y/(z+x) + z/(x+y)>=3/2......

...for x>0,y>0,z>0.........

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hmm I know about 8 proofs for this inequality. The simplest ones still require a transformation. Without giving away too much, can you rewrite the left-hand side so that each term looks more "similar"? Anyways the algebraic manipulation is the key. Once you've made it you can pretty much apply the mean chain of inequalities (AM-GM is the most common one), normalize the inequality, or various other methods.

8 ? I can't even make one.
please show me all.is there a book for impossible inequalities having a general plan for
solving them??
please inform me

Ok maybe the last hint wasn't enough. On the left hand side, can you make each term's numerator the same? It shouldn't be hard to determine what that expression for the numerators should be if you consider what the denominators look like (y+z, z+x, x+y).

Anyways, this inequality is meant to demonstrate various methods of solving even harder inequalities. You won't learn anything if I showed you the proofs and you don't know some basics about inequalities to begin with. Good inequality material usually stems from good problem solving books such as Problem Solving Strategies by Arthur Engel. But the least you should know is the Arithmetic Mean - Geometric Mean inequality and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. Then there are probably about a dozen more well-known and relatively elementary inequalities. After that it's just using those inequalities and algebraic manipulation.

Last edited:

man i know the stuff ,H<=G<=A,CSI and the rest but inequalities are always a puzzle to
me.
Thanks for the tip so we must prove that :

(x+y+z){ 1/(x+y) + 1/(x+z) + 1/(z+y)}>=9/2 using H<=A
Now is there any other way apart from this one ??
i tell you what ,i will post another difficult inequality ,so please look at the new post
and help me

Well could you prove it using AM-HM? You're very close. Can you make the two products on the left hand side look more similar? Multiply both sides by 2 and then rewrite the (x+y+z) term to match the reciprocals then it immediately follows from AM-HM.

.thanks iknow how to do it now but please go to another thread for inequalities again
and please if you can help me with the new one .i posted just now under general maths again

suppose somebody cannot find the trick to add 3 to both sides of the inequality and then transform it into the proper shape so to use Hm--Am,and instead of that does all the
calculations and cancellations and ends up with the following equivalent inequality:

2x^3 + 2y^3 + 2z^3 >= yx^2 + xy^2 + zx^2 + xz^2 + zy^2 + yz^2.

how can we proceed from here to solve the inequality??

[tex](x-y)^2(x+y) \geq 0[/tex]

.........very good............
now,where did you get the idea to transform :

...x^3 + y^3 - yx^2 -xy^2 into (x +y)(x-y)^2?

Well the first thing I tried was [tex] (x^2 + y^2)(x+y) [/tex]. I had the [tex]x^2[/tex] and the [tex]x[/tex] parts already since I needed an [tex]x^3[/tex] term. Obviously this was not correct since it resulted in [tex]x^3 + x^2y + xy^2 + y^3[/tex]. I needed the two middle terms to be negative to prove the inequality. Hence looking back again I realized if I changed the signs in the products to negatives, the "first" and "last" resulting terms would be positive while the "middle" two would be negative.

snipez90 either you are a magician or you hiding something.

Thanks anyway for your help to put my mind in the correct path of the puzzle

Related to Is This Inequality Solvable for Positive Variables?

1. What is "following inequality"?

"Following inequality" refers to the practice of tracking and analyzing the disparities in wealth, income, and opportunities among different groups of people within a society.

2. Why is following inequality important?

Following inequality is important because it allows us to understand the extent of social and economic disparities within a society, and identify areas for improvement and potential solutions to address these inequalities.

3. How is following inequality measured?

Following inequality can be measured through various metrics, including the Gini coefficient, which measures income distribution, and the Human Development Index, which considers factors such as education and health in addition to income.

4. What are the consequences of high levels of inequality?

High levels of inequality can lead to social unrest, hinder economic growth, and perpetuate cycles of poverty and disadvantage. It can also contribute to health disparities and limit opportunities for upward social mobility.

5. How can we address and reduce inequality?

Addressing and reducing inequality requires a multifaceted approach, including policies and initiatives that promote equal access to education, healthcare, and job opportunities. Additionally, addressing systemic issues such as discrimination and creating more equitable tax and welfare systems can help reduce inequality.