1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Food Fixations

1. Sep 3, 2004 #1
    Have any of you suddenly became fixated on a certain food? Did it go away or did your tastes just change making you like it more?

I'm just curious because I've developed a fixation over a generally unhealty food, bacon. I've got the metabolism to make up for it but regardless I know it can't be good to become a bacon fanatic.

Normally I wouldn't post such an eccentric and almost pointless topic. I am in a posting mood today though.

Thoughts about the topic? ~Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2004 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I go through these stages where I just get a major craving for a certain food and can't get enough of it. But, eventually I get tired of eating it. Usually it's just when I smell something cooking that I haven't had in a long time and it just gets me to remembering how much I liked it. I get that craving for BLTs when those first tomatoes are ripening on the vine in the summer (if I could just keep the squirrels out of my garden this year, I might get a tomato before they do). Sometimes for a certain flavor of ice cream, or for a while I was really into a curried squash dish. I try to blame it on monthly hormone cycles. What's your excuse? :biggrin:

4. Sep 4, 2004 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I get cravings for certain foods for awhile, then it goes away.

It's usually salty food.

5. Sep 4, 2004 #4

Tsu

Gold Member

Chocolate. Always chocolate... :wink:

You can even eat a chocolate bar while water skiing!!! :rofl: I know this for a FACT!!!!

6. Sep 4, 2004 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bread and butter pickles!!! (weird, huh?)
    and - NO, I'm not pregnant!!!

7. Sep 4, 2004 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, my weirdest craving is mayonaisse sandwiches...yep, lots of mayo on squishy bread...couldn't get much worse than that. My dad and I used to make them together when I was a kid, and I think I liked them mostly because my mom thought it was horrible (mom and I have never quite seen eye to eye on things, so if she disapproved of something, I was likely to keep doing it). Anyway, every once in a while, I just get a craving for one of those. I've refined my taste a bit and don't eat squishy white bread anymore, but whole wheat seems to be a decent substitute.

8. Sep 4, 2004 #7

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I crave the same kinds of things too...usually pickled hot foods :tongue2:...olives, pickles, and avocados are the ones i love to snack on...cheese is another favorite, especially brie on crackers.

9. Sep 4, 2004 #8
    Cashew nuts, coke and chips.

Can't beat that fat and carbo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?