Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Food Fixations

1. Sep 3, 2004 #1
    Have any of you suddenly became fixated on a certain food? Did it go away or did your tastes just change making you like it more?

I'm just curious because I've developed a fixation over a generally unhealty food, bacon. I've got the metabolism to make up for it but regardless I know it can't be good to become a bacon fanatic.

Normally I wouldn't post such an eccentric and almost pointless topic. I am in a posting mood today though.

Thoughts about the topic? ~Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2004 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I go through these stages where I just get a major craving for a certain food and can't get enough of it. But, eventually I get tired of eating it. Usually it's just when I smell something cooking that I haven't had in a long time and it just gets me to remembering how much I liked it. I get that craving for BLTs when those first tomatoes are ripening on the vine in the summer (if I could just keep the squirrels out of my garden this year, I might get a tomato before they do). Sometimes for a certain flavor of ice cream, or for a while I was really into a curried squash dish. I try to blame it on monthly hormone cycles. What's your excuse? :biggrin:

4. Sep 4, 2004 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I get cravings for certain foods for awhile, then it goes away.

It's usually salty food.

5. Sep 4, 2004 #4

Tsu

Gold Member

Chocolate. Always chocolate... :wink:

You can even eat a chocolate bar while water skiing!!! :rofl: I know this for a FACT!!!!

6. Sep 4, 2004 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bread and butter pickles!!! (weird, huh?)
    and - NO, I'm not pregnant!!!

7. Sep 4, 2004 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, my weirdest craving is mayonaisse sandwiches...yep, lots of mayo on squishy bread...couldn't get much worse than that. My dad and I used to make them together when I was a kid, and I think I liked them mostly because my mom thought it was horrible (mom and I have never quite seen eye to eye on things, so if she disapproved of something, I was likely to keep doing it). Anyway, every once in a while, I just get a craving for one of those. I've refined my taste a bit and don't eat squishy white bread anymore, but whole wheat seems to be a decent substitute.

8. Sep 4, 2004 #7

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I crave the same kinds of things too...usually pickled hot foods :tongue2:...olives, pickles, and avocados are the ones i love to snack on...cheese is another favorite, especially brie on crackers.

9. Sep 4, 2004 #8
    Cashew nuts, coke and chips.

Can't beat that fat and carbo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?