For any video/photo equipment enthusiasts.

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equipment
In summary, this camera is from a previous generation and is not worth very much. It was used to make movies with 16mm film. Eventually Super-8 cameras and film came into being and video rendered it moot.
Dembadon
Gold Member
This is a (video?)camera I found in a box of my father's things.

These were taken on my cell phone - sorry for the poor quality.

oldcam5.jpg

oldcam4.jpg

oldcam3.jpg

oldcam2.jpg

oldcam1.jpg

How old do you think this device is?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's an 8mm cine camera = a video camera for a previous generation

Built late 50s early 60s, they aren't worth very much ( $20-30 ?)
An awful lot of them were made and there are still lots of them in people basements.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's not a video camera, it's an 8mm film (movie) camera. I commandeered my families 8mm as a kid and tried to do stop motion animation with it.

Those cameras used 16mm film, strangely enough. You shot one side of the film till you got to the end of the reel, then you had to take it to a dark place, open the camera, and turn the spool over to shoot the other side of the film.

At the photo lab they developed the whole reel, then split it in two and spliced the two lengths together. You got about 3 minutes of footage total.

It was incredibly primitive and cumbersome but I guess the idea was to avoid manufacturing a whole new size of film stock. 16mm was already widely available.

Eventually they saw the error of their ways and "Super - 8" cameras and film came into being. The film was dedicated in size and no turning over, cutting and splicing were required. Just before the advent of home video Super-8 became available with sound! That was an amazing breakthrough for the home cinematographer.

Unfortunately, video rendered it moot almost instantly.

I did some small animations on one of those when I was a kid. I had them transferred to video, now I don't even have a video player! I'll see about getting them transferred to the PC and uploaded somewhere, it was great fun.

I cannot accurately determine the age of the camera without further information or analysis. However, based on the fact that it was found in a box of your father's things and the poor quality of the photos taken on a cell phone, it is possible that the camera may be several years old. To accurately determine the age of the camera, it would be helpful to know the make and model, as well as any other identifying information or features. Additionally, examining the technology and features of the camera compared to current models may provide some insight into its age.

1. What is the best camera for beginners?

The best camera for beginners depends on personal preferences and budget. Some popular choices for budget-friendly options include the Canon EOS Rebel T7 and the Nikon D3500. For those willing to invest in a more advanced camera, the Sony Alpha A6000 and the Fujifilm X-T30 are great options.

2. What is the difference between a DSLR and a mirrorless camera?

A DSLR (digital single-lens reflex) camera uses a mirror to reflect light from the lens to the optical viewfinder, giving you a preview of the image. A mirrorless camera, on the other hand, does not have a mirror but uses a digital display or electronic viewfinder to show the image. Mirrorless cameras are typically smaller and lighter, while DSLRs have better battery life and a wider range of lens options.

3. What is the ideal lens for landscape photography?

The ideal lens for landscape photography is a wide-angle lens, typically in the 16-35mm range. This allows you to capture a wide field of view and include more of the landscape in your shots. Prime lenses with a fixed focal length are also popular for their sharpness and image quality.

4. Is it necessary to invest in expensive equipment for good quality photos?

No, it is not necessary to invest in expensive equipment for good quality photos. While high-end equipment can provide better image quality and more features, it is possible to take great photos with more affordable options. The key is to understand and practice photography techniques such as composition, lighting, and post-processing.

5. How important is it to have a tripod for photography?

A tripod can be a useful tool for photography, especially when shooting in low light or capturing long exposure shots. It helps keep the camera stable and reduce camera shake, resulting in sharper images. However, it is not always necessary and may depend on the type of photography you are doing. For example, landscape and night photographers may benefit more from a tripod compared to portrait or street photographers.