For Those Good In Physics water Level Problem.

In summary, throwing a piece of lead off a boat will cause the water level to fall. This is because the lead is denser than water and displaces more water inside the boat than in the water. The volume of water does not affect the water level, but the surface area of the body of water does.
cterence_chow
For Those Good In Physics!water Level Problem.

Here's the question.

U are on a boat with a piece of lead on the boat.The water level rose due to more volume of water displaced.So, when we throw the piece of lead into the water,will the water level rise or fall or remain the same in its current water level?:

Physics news on Phys.org
i think the water level would fall relative to the boat. the piece of lead is denser than water and hence would not displace as much water to cause the water level to rise to meet the current water level. something that i have learned just yesterday. :D

cterence_chow said:
U are on a boat with a piece of lead on the boat.The water level rose due to more volume of water displaced.So, when we throw the piece of lead into the water,will the water level rise or fall or remain the same in its current water level?:
U? Who's U? It must be a group of people because you said "are."

Assuming the boat has a greater volume than the lead, the water level would go down. The lead displaces more mass inside the boat than if you threw it off, because it sinks.

If you had a small chunk of a neutron star and threw it into the ocean, than it would only displace its volume. If you thew it into a boat (and it didn't go through the boat), then it would displace a bit more.

All right man thanks guys, this question has been bugging me for a long time

How large is the body of water your boat is floating on? A swimming pool, or on a lake?

lake.Then??

Does the volume of water affect the water level??

We only need to see how much the volume of water increases. If the lead is in the boat, it displaces water equal to its weight (so it floats). If the lead is in the water, it displaces water equal to its volume (so it sinks). Since lead is denser than water, it displaces more water in the boat than it does when it's in the water. Hence the water level drops when you throw it off the boat. (It is interesting to not that when you are picking up the lead weight to throw it off the boat the water level rises, since there is more downwards force on the boat causing it to displace more water.)

The volume does not affect the water level, but the surface area of the lake/swimmingpool/ocean affects the water level change (change in water level = change in volume / surface area).

allright thanx

fall because the total displaced water volume is less than before:smile:

FAQ: For Those Good In Physics water Level Problem.

1. What is the water level problem in physics?

The water level problem in physics involves calculating the level of water in a container or vessel based on given parameters such as dimensions, shape, and fluid properties.

2. How do I solve the water level problem?

To solve the water level problem, you will need to use the principles of fluid mechanics, such as Pascal's law and Archimedes' principle. You will also need to apply mathematical equations to calculate the volume and pressure of the water in the container.

3. What are the common mistakes when solving the water level problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the water level problem include incorrect application of equations, neglecting the effect of atmospheric pressure, and not considering the shape of the container in the calculations.

4. How can I check if my solution to the water level problem is correct?

You can check your solution by verifying that it follows the basic laws of fluid mechanics, such as conservation of mass, energy, and momentum. You can also compare your solution with known values or use practical experiments to validate your answer.

5. What are some real-life applications of the water level problem in physics?

The water level problem has many practical applications, such as determining the water level in a dam, calculating the pressure in a water tank, and designing pipelines for efficient water distribution. It is also used in designing hydraulic systems, such as in cars and airplanes.

Back