Calculating Work Done by a Force on a Moving Object

In summary, the work done on the block by a force of magnitude 85.0N as it moves from -3cm to 5cm is calculated using the equation W = F*S*cos(theta) and the displacement of 8cm, resulting in a value of 680J.
Abarak

Homework Statement

Find the work W done on the block by the force of magnitude F = 85.0N as the block moves from xi = -3.00cm to xf = 5.00cm.

Homework Equations

W = F*S*cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

W = (85.0N)(-3cm-5cm)*1
W = -260J

Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of displacement.

And a consistent set of units

Let me try this again...

W = (85.0N)(3cm+5cm)*1
W = 680J

(3cm + 5cm) because the block is moving from -3cm to 0 and from 0 to 5cm. This gives us a grand total of 8cm the block was moved. Sorry for the rather rudimentary question.

Abarak said:
W = (85.0N)(-3cm-5cm)*1
W = -260J

Am I missing something?

a calculator??
and check the units
Newton * meter = joule

God, that was terrible. I'm going to stop right now and start again tomorrow. Sorry for the waste of time.

FAQ: Calculating Work Done by a Force on a Moving Object

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between objects or particles. It can cause a change in an object's motion, shape, or state of rest.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in Newtons (N) using a spring scale, force meter, or other force measuring devices. It can also be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration (F=ma).

3. What is displacement?

Displacement refers to the distance and direction of an object's change in position from its starting point. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

4. How is displacement different from distance?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the shortest distance between an object's starting and ending points. Distance is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude and no direction.

5. How are force and displacement related?

Force and displacement are directly related through the work-energy theorem. Work is defined as the product of force and displacement (W = F x d), meaning that the amount of work done on an object is directly proportional to the force applied and the distance over which the force is applied.

Back