Force & Motion Homework: Force Diagrams, Velocities & Accelerations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two boxes of different masses placed on a horizontal table and hit with an initial velocity and a friction coefficient. Force diagrams are drawn and equations are used to find the velocities and accelerations of the boxes. The normal force and gravitational force are not third-law pairs, and there may be a mistake in the calculation of the friction forces. The direction of acceleration for the box on top needs to be considered. The conversation ends with a question about the initial velocity and acceleration of box 2.
Nicholas Egebak

Homework Statement

A small box (mass m1) is placed upon a large box (mass m2); the large box i placed on a horizontal table. The boxes begin a rest on the table. The lower box is hit by a horizontal blow at the time t=0 resulting in a initial velocity v0. The frictioncoefficient between all surfaces are µk

Homework Equations

a) Draw force-diagrams for both boxes as the move relative to each other. Indicate all Newtons-Third-Law-Pairs.

b) Determine all velocities and accelerations of the boxes as the move relative to each other. At what time T do the boxes not move relative to each other anymore?

c) Determine the acceleration of the boxes when they do not move relative to each other. What length L do the boxes move in this fase? The initial velocity can be concidered know as v1

The Attempt at a Solution

I started drawing the force diagrams. No problem there. It was easy to see that the normal force in both cases were pairing up with the gravitational force.

For question b) I came up with this equation:
vbox1=v0-a*t​
Applied on the second box (the one underneath the other):

The acceleration must be the kinetic friction force divided by the mass:
vbox1=v0-(fk)/m*t​
Naturally I got:
vbox1=v0k*g*t​

For the box on top:
vbox2=-μk*g*t​

For the acceleration I differentiate both:

abox1=(vbox2)'=-g*µk
abox2=(vbox2)'=-g*µk

It is now that I am lost. I do not know how to find the time by which the boxes are not moving relatively to each other anymore...
Picture of scenario:
Udklip3.png

Force Diagrams:
Udklip2.png

Udklip.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Nicholas Egebak said:
I started drawing the force diagrams. No problem there. It was easy to see that the normal force in both cases were pairing up with the gravitational force.
What are fk1 and fk2? The friction forces need more thought here.
Nicholas Egebak said:
Applied on the second box (the one underneath the other):
If you call it box 1, why do you say "second box"? Its acceleration is wrong because you are missing a force acting on it.

For the box on top, be careful with the sign. In which direction will it accelerate?

Nicholas Egebak said:
No problem there. It was easy to see that the normal force in both cases were pairing up with the gravitational force.
Careful: The normal force and the gravitational force are not 3rd-law pairs.

Doc Al said:
Careful: The normal force and the gravitational force are not 3rd-law pairs.
Oh, yeah! That's right! They are just equal and opposite...
mfb said:
What are fk1 and fk2? The friction forces need more thought here.If you call it box 1, why do you say "second box"? Its acceleration is wrong because you are missing a force acting on it.

For the box on top, be careful with the sign. In which direction will it accelerate?

Do you mean that box 2 has a velocity of 0 at t=0 and it therefore because of the friction will accelerate in the same direction as the velocity of box 1?

I understand that it is a bit confusing when referred to as both box 1 and 'second box' but they are the same

fk1 and fk2 should be the same - I realize that now

Nicholas Egebak said:
Do you mean that box 2 has a velocity of 0 at t=0 and it therefore because of the friction will accelerate in the same direction as the velocity of box 1?
For example, yes.

Nicholas Egebak said:
fk1 and fk2 should be the same - I realize that now
They are not, no matter what they represent (which is still undefined).

1. What is a force diagram?

A force diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It includes arrows to show the direction and magnitude of each force, and labels to indicate the type of force (such as gravity, friction, or applied force).

2. How do you draw a force diagram?

To draw a force diagram, start by identifying all the forces acting on the object. Then, draw a dot or a box to represent the object, and draw arrows for each force. Make sure to label each force and use arrows to indicate the direction and magnitude of each force.

3. What is velocity?

Velocity is the rate at which an object's position changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction. The SI unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s).

4. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The SI unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

5. How does force affect motion?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Additionally, the direction of the force will determine the direction of the object's acceleration.