Force as a function of velocity

In summary, the final velocity is a function of the initial velocity and the displacement. The displacement is a function of the force and the direction of the force.
Chris2505
I'm trying to find the final velocity and the time taken for a particle to tavel a certain distance. I know the initial velocity and displacement and the force as a function of the velocity.

Using: [itex]F = ma[/itex] so [itex]\frac{F(v)}{m} = v \frac{dv}{ds}[/itex]

so: [itex]\int ds = m \int v \frac{dv}{F(v)}[/itex]

Rearanging and using limts gives final velocity as a function of dispacement and initial velocity. However I am unsure about how to calculate the time taken for this displacement?

Physics news on Phys.org
your force looks like its a function of 's' more than v. What is 's'? Is this the only force acting? Is the direction of motion parallel to the direction of the force...etc...

s is the displacement, sorry. and using [itex]a = v \frac{dv}{ds}[/itex] you get the equation above. The Force only acts in one direcion and the force acts parallel to the velocity.

I'm still missing the context for this. You won't be able to do anything without a specific form for F(v) and your limits of integration won't have times, they'll have distances and velocities. Are you trying to derive some general expression?

If the force is constant, and so is mass, then why not use standard equations of motion?

I have an equation which describes force as a function of the velocity of the particle, and using [itex]\int ds = m \int v \frac{dv}{F(v)}[/itex] can calculate the displacement of the particle, using limits for the velocity.

Or, if re-arranged, the final velocity can be calculated if the change in displacement and initial velocity is known.

However what I also need to calculate is the time taken for the change in velocity. Which this equation can't do, is the an equation to calculate this?

Hope this makes more sense.

Well I suppose you could start with [tex]F(v)=m\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex] and do something similar.

ah, of course! Thanks! :)

1. What is the relationship between force and velocity?

The relationship between force and velocity is described by Newton's Second Law, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In other words, the greater the velocity of an object, the greater the force required to accelerate or decelerate it.

2. How does force change as velocity changes?

As velocity increases, the force required to accelerate or decelerate an object also increases. This is because the object's acceleration is directly proportional to its velocity according to Newton's Second Law. Therefore, as an object's velocity changes, so does the force acting upon it.

3. What are the units of force as a function of velocity?

The units of force as a function of velocity are typically expressed in Newtons (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s². This unit is derived from the equation F=ma, where force is measured in Newtons, mass in kilograms, and acceleration in meters per second squared.

4. How does the direction of velocity affect force?

The direction of velocity can affect the direction of the force acting upon an object. For example, if an object is moving in a straight line, the force acting on it will also be in the same direction. However, if the object changes direction, the force acting on it will also change direction. This is known as a centripetal force.

5. Can force and velocity ever be equal?

No, force and velocity cannot be equal as they are two different physical quantities with different units of measurement. Velocity is a measure of an object's speed in a given direction, while force is a measure of the push or pull acting upon an object. However, they are related through Newton's Second Law, and a change in one will result in a change in the other.