Force attracting a particle and time required

In summary, the conversation is about a particle of mass m being released from rest a distance b from a fixed origin of force that attracts the particle according to the inverse square law. The equation F(x) = -kx-2 is used to show that the time required for the particle to reach the origin is Pi times (mb3/8k)1/2. The person asking for help is unsure of how to solve the problem and is looking for guidance. The responder suggests using mechanical energy conservation and solving for dx/dt to find the solution.
LazyMan

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is released from rest a distance b from a fixed origin of force that attracts the particle according to the inverse square law:
F(x) = -kx-2

Show that the time required for the particle to reach the origin is
Pi times (mb3/8k)1/2

Homework Equations

I have no idea what you need

The Attempt at a Solution

I am sad to say I have no clue how to even star this one. Any help would be nice, just don't give me the answer just yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use energy mechanical energy conservation and solve for dx/dt. After you do that you might see what comes next.

1. What is the relationship between force and the attraction of a particle?

According to Newton's law of universal gravitation, the force of attraction between two particles is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the strength of the force affect the time required for a particle to be attracted?

The stronger the force of attraction, the shorter the time required for a particle to be attracted. This is because a stronger force will pull the particle towards the other object with a greater acceleration.

3. Can the force of attraction be changed over time?

Yes, the force of attraction between two particles can change over time if the distance between them changes or if the masses of the particles change.

4. How does the mass of the particle affect the time required for attraction?

The mass of the particle does not affect the time required for attraction. The time required for a particle to be attracted is only dependent on the strength of the force of attraction and the initial distance between the particles.

5. Is the time required for attraction affected by external factors such as air resistance?

No, the time required for attraction is not affected by external factors such as air resistance. This is because air resistance only affects the motion of objects in motion, not the force of attraction between them.