Force between a permanent and electromagnet

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in relating and calculating the force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet. The use of the Biot-Savart law and the Lorentz force is mentioned as potential methods for calculating the force. The requester also clarifies that this is not for a homework assignment.
jjb23
Could anyone help me with calculating the force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet?

Using Biot-Savart law I'm able to calculate the field strength of the electromagnet at a respective point, I can also calculate the field strength of the permanent magnet. However, the tricky part seems to be relating the two and establishing the force acting on them when exposed to each others fields at a point.

I've looked online and in books on electromagnetism but can't seem to find an equation.

Thanks.
(Project, certainly not homework)

Physics news on Phys.org
Please do not open multiple threads for the same topic - I deleted the other one.

If you know the field strength of magnet 1 at the place of magnet 2 (and vice versa), you can use the Lorentz force to calculate the forces between the magnets.

1. What is the force between a permanent and electromagnet?

The force between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet is the attractive or repulsive force that occurs when the two magnets are placed near each other. This force is caused by the magnetic fields produced by the magnets.

2. How is the force between a permanent and electromagnet calculated?

The force between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet can be calculated using the formula F = (B1*B2*A)/µ0, where B1 and B2 are the magnetic field strengths of the two magnets, A is the area of interaction, and µ0 is the permeability of free space.

3. What factors affect the force between a permanent and electromagnet?

The force between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic fields, the distance between the two magnets, and the orientation of the magnets relative to each other.

4. How can the force between a permanent and electromagnet be increased?

The force between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic fields, decreasing the distance between the two magnets, or by using materials with higher permeability in the magnetic circuit.

5. What are some real-world applications of the force between a permanent and electromagnet?

The force between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet is used in various applications, such as electric motors, generators, loudspeakers, and magnetic levitation systems. It is also used in many industrial processes, such as separating magnetic materials in recycling and in magnetic particle testing for detecting defects in materials.