Force between Positive and Negative Electrical Charges

In summary: So, it's not just QM. It's a fundamental aspect of our universe.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of charge and how it causes a force in an electromagnetic field. The best solution is found in a Wikipedia lemma, but the question of what charge actually is remains unanswered due to the lack of a comprehensible mechanism. This issue is not limited to quantum mechanics, as even classical theories have fundamental aspects with no deeper underlying explanation.
Martyn Arthur
I have in the past been criricised for inappropriate postings that I could have resolved with research so this time I have done the research first.
The best solution I have found is from wiki "that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field."
What causes the force to occur?
What physical particle, occurrence, action, actually creates the attractive states between oppositely charged particles, say when remote from each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Martyn Arthur said:
The best solution I have found is from wiki "that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field."

"that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field" is a quote from wikipedia lemma electric charge.

So basically you are asking 'what is charge" and you feel as if you get the runaround. I sympathize, but I don't think anyone can help you. From the wording in the electromagnetic field lemma
wikipedia said:
It is the field described by classical electrodynamics and is the classical counterpart to the quantized electromagnetic field tensor in quantum electrodynamics.
you are being referred to another world, but even there "charge" is a property that describes a measure of coupling to the EM field.

Duh. Apparently we can very well (understatement!) describe phenomena having to do with charge, but are unable to answer a simple question like "what is it".

Turns out the question "what is mass" suffers the same frustrating fate ...

(does it help if you get the answers as
Martyn Arthur said:
What causes the force to occur?
The EM field

Martyn Arthur said:
What physical particle, occurrence, action, actually creates the attractive states between oppositely charged particles, say when remote from each other?
The photon

No? Didn't think so :wink:.)

##\ ##

Thank you; it is reassuring that I haven't been booted out.
So Is it right to say the following, or what am I missing please?
a. There may be mathematical / theoretical explanations that seek to provide an answer (theoretical or otherwise) to the question, I am in my first year of my physics degree so have not encountered them yet.
b. or, absolutely pragmatically, there is no known pragmatic, physical or otherwise explanation that can attribute the reason why remote particles experience the force.
Thank you guys for your patience!
Martyn

Martyn Arthur said:
a. There may be mathematical / theoretical explanations that seek to provide an answer (theoretical or otherwise) to the question,
Yes. The mediation of forces by virtual exchange particles is often used to explain the various forces between particles.

(@BvU already hinted at it when he mentioned ‘The photon’ in Post #2.)

Martyn Arthur said:
I am in my first year of my physics degree so have not encountered them yet.
The basic concept (virtual exchange particles as 'force carriers') seems appropriate to first year physics degree level. You can read-up on it if interested. You would typIcally be taught about it when you covered quantum mechanics and/or the Standard Model.

Martyn Arthur said:
Thank you; it is reassuring that I haven't been booted out.
So Is it right to say the following, or what am I missing please?
a. There may be mathematical / theoretical explanations that seek to provide an answer (theoretical or otherwise) to the question, I am in my first year of my physics degree so have not encountered them yet.
b. or, absolutely pragmatically, there is no known pragmatic, physical or otherwise explanation that can attribute the reason why remote particles experience the force.
Thank you guys for your patience!
Martyn
It's an interesting point that some people criticize QM, for example, for not having a comprehensible mechanism. But, when you look at classical gravity and EM, you have the same issue. There is no intuitive reason that a negative charge creates an electric field which attracts a positive charge and vice versa.

It's called Coulomb's and it is fundamental with no deeper underlying explanation.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the force between positive and negative electrical charges?

The force between positive and negative electrical charges is known as the electrostatic force. This force is caused by the attraction between opposite charges and the repulsion between like charges.

2. How is the force between positive and negative electrical charges calculated?

The force between positive and negative electrical charges can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. How does the distance between charges affect the force between them?

The force between positive and negative charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

4. What happens to the force between positive and negative charges if the charges are increased?

If the charges are increased, the force between them will also increase. This is because the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges.

5. Can the force between positive and negative charges be attractive and repulsive?

Yes, the force between positive and negative charges can be both attractive and repulsive. Opposite charges (positive and negative) will attract each other, while like charges (positive and positive or negative and negative) will repel each other.