Force derived from magnetic energy of a current carrying spring

In summary, the magnetic energy of a current carrying spring, with ##N## turns, length ##x## and cross sectional area ##A##, is given by $$E_m = \frac{\mu_0 N^2 I^2 A}{2x}$$. The negated spatial derivative of this yields a quantity with dimensions of force, $$F = - \frac{dE_m}{dx} = \frac{\mu_0 N^2 I^2 A}{2x^2}$$. This quantity does not act anywhere, but rather represents the energy per unit length required to make the configuration longer. In order to analyze the behavior of a current carrying spring, the Maxwell stress tensor can be used to obtain forces from the
etotheipi
The magnetic energy of a current carrying spring, with ##N## turns, length ##x## and cross sectional area ##A##, is $$E_m = \frac{\mu_0 N^2 I^2 A}{2x}$$The (negated) spatial derivative of this yields a quantity with dimensions of force,$$F = - \frac{dE_m}{dx} = \frac{\mu_0 N^2 I^2 A}{2x^2}$$How can we interpret this quantity, and where specifically does it act? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
How can we interpret this quantity, and where specifically does it act?
It doesn’t act anywhere. It has units of force but it isn’t force. It is the energy per unit length required to make the configuration longer.

Likes vanhees71, Adesh and etotheipi
Thanks, I see! The term is only applicable in a 'd'Alemberts principle' sense.

I wonder if it's possible to parameterise the spring with something like ##\vec{r}(\lambda) = (a\cos{\omega \lambda}, a\sin{\omega \lambda}, b\lambda##) and calculate explicitly the magnetic force on any given segment of spring with Biot-Savart. Presumably in the equilibrium case that would be balanced by axial stresses in the adjacent pieces of spring. It would be interesting to see if that bears any resemblance to the equation above (though I would suspect not!).

Maybe the behaviour of a current carrying spring would be easier to analyse using a magnetic pressure approach. I'll have to do a bit more reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably want to look into the Maxwell stress tensor. It can be used to get forces from the fields.

Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
Dale said:
You probably want to look into the Maxwell stress tensor. It can be used to get forces from the fields.

Cool, I'll give it a go and see how far I get. I've found a few references treating similar problems, although I haven't look at their maths in too much detail yet:

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/nuclear...spring-2003/lecture-notes/forces_stresses.pdf

https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/69C/jresv69Cn4p287_A1b.pdf

https://dqmp.unige.ch/senatore/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Senatore_Lecture10_v2018.pdf

Likes vanhees71 and Dale
Dale said:
It doesn’t act anywhere. It has units of force but it isn’t force. It is the energy per unit length required to make the configuration longer.
Wouldn't an alternate interpretation be the force that must be added to ##kdx## in order to stretch the spring by the same ##dx## when the current is turned on?

Likes Adesh
kuruman said:
Wouldn't an alternate interpretation be the force that must be added to ##kdx## in order to stretch the spring by the same ##dx## when the current is turned on?
Possibly, but I am not certain because that would change the geometry of the spring. I can’t recall if that formula was based on some important assumptions about the geometry.

kuruman said:

That could work; the total energy of the system is$$E = \frac{\mu_0 N^2 I^2 A}{2x} + \frac{1}{2}k(x-x_0)^2$$the work done by an external force stretching the spring over an extra incremental extension ##dx## is, if the current is assumed constant,$$F dx = dE = -\frac{\mu_0 N^2 I^2 A}{2x^2} dx + k(x-x_0)dx$$so the external force holding the spring in place is$$F = -\frac{\mu_0 N^2 I^2 A}{2x^2} + k(x-x_0)$$The assumption that the current is constant is slightly off, though, not least because this result seems to show that the external force required is actually less than without the current (when we know full well that the coils will attract each other and try to compress the coil axially).

We can improve this if we make some assumptions about the coil. For instance if it is superconducting, then ##\Phi## is constant always and we must have that ##I = \frac{x}{x_0}I_0 ##, which gives us the relation$$E = \frac{\mu_0 N^2 I_0^2 A}{2x_0^2}x + \frac{1}{2}k(x-x_0)^2$$With the same method, we can now determine the external force required to hold the spring as$$F = \frac{\mu_0 N^2 I_0^2 A}{x_0^2} + k(x-x_0)$$which is much more like we expect!

Dale said:
Possibly, but I am not certain because that would change the geometry of the spring. I can’t recall if that formula was based on some important assumptions about the geometry.

You might be right that in a more advanced treatment we need to worry about the geometry, I just took the simplest approach and worked in the ##x\gg r## regime, so that we can take the magnetic field as uniform along the one edge of a rectangular closed curve that passes through the solenoid$$\oint_C \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{r} = Bx = \mu_0 N I \implies B = \frac{\mu_0 N I}{x}$$ $$\Phi = NBA = \frac{\mu_0 N^2 I A}{x} = LI \implies L = \frac{\mu_0 N^2 A}{x}$$ $$E_m = \frac{1}{2}LI^2 = \frac{\mu_0 N^2 I^2 A}{2x}$$

Likes Dale

1. What is force derived from magnetic energy of a current carrying spring?

The force derived from magnetic energy of a current carrying spring is a type of force that is exerted on a spring due to the interaction between an electric current and a magnetic field. This force is also known as the Lorentz force and is responsible for the movement of the spring in response to the current and magnetic field.

2. How is the force derived from magnetic energy of a current carrying spring calculated?

The force derived from magnetic energy of a current carrying spring can be calculated using the formula F = I x L x B, where F is the force in Newtons, I is the current in Amperes, L is the length of the spring in meters, and B is the magnetic field strength in Tesla.

3. What is the relationship between the current, magnetic field, and force in a current carrying spring?

The force derived from magnetic energy of a current carrying spring is directly proportional to the current and magnetic field strength. This means that an increase in either the current or the magnetic field will result in a stronger force on the spring.

4. What are some real-world applications of the force derived from magnetic energy of a current carrying spring?

One common application of this force is in electric motors, where the interaction between the magnetic field and current in a wire coil causes the motor to rotate. It is also used in devices such as loudspeakers, generators, and particle accelerators.

5. How does the force derived from magnetic energy of a current carrying spring contribute to the study of electromagnetism?

The force derived from magnetic energy of a current carrying spring is a fundamental concept in the study of electromagnetism. It helps explain the behavior of electric currents and magnetic fields, and how they interact with each other. This force is essential in understanding many real-world phenomena and is a crucial aspect of modern physics.