Force exerted onto the pipe by a shrunk fit ring

• Thread starter sunshine76
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

hi, this is my first post here in this forum. i would like somebody here to help me in calculating the force exerted onto the pipe by a stainless steel ring of 10mm thickness, when it is shrunk fit on to the pipe by heating.

thanks in advance

Answers and Replies

FredGarvin
Science Advisor
What are the inner and outer diameters. Theoretically, it depends on whether thay are considered thick walled cylinders, i.e. ID/t<10.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
As the steel ring cools, it thermally contracts. The steel ring will be in tension and the pipe on to which it shrinks will be in compression.

The key about thermal strain is that it does produces displacement without stress.

One needs the IDs/ODs of the pipe and steel ring, and the starting and final temperatures of the steel ring. One can simply the problem by assuming the pipe does not change temperature from its initial temperature (e.g. room temp) and this is the final temperature of the steel ring.

When two dissimilar metals are mated, one must be concerned with differential thermal expansion - a consequence of different thermal expansion coefficients and/or thermal gradients.

Pipe OD: 127mm
Pipe ID: 115mm

Ring OD:133mm
Ring ID: 126.5mm
Ring width:20mm

Please anyone tell me when the ring is heated and fitted onto the pipe, what will be the force exerted on the pipe?

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is this homework?