Which Triangle Experiences Greater Force in a Water Tank?

In summary: Could you explain that a little more?The question is asking for the net force on the triangle, which is zero because they are fixed in position.
Ikastun
Two identical triangles are placed inside a water tank as shown in the diagram below. The triangles are fixed in position. On which triangle will a greater force be exerted?

mechanical-challenge-2.png

Equal on both.
Cannot say

The question is part of a mechanical aptitude test. The correct answer is 2, but there is no explanation.

I do not understand why is 2, and not "equal on both". Can anyone give me some clues?.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only way that can see is to not allow liquid access on (2) body base.

Ikastun said:
The question is part of a mechanical aptitude test. The correct answer is 2, but there is no explanation.

I do not understand why is 2, and not "equal on both". Can anyone give me some clues?.

The author of the question deserves a big FAIL. It could be another one of those copy and paste with parts left out and thus becomes ambigious, or non-sensical.

Anyways,do you know anything about hydrostatic forces, bouyancy, pressure? which is probably waht the question was supposed to get at.

What is your reasoning, or calculations, that the answer should "be equal"?

Likes Ikastun
256bits said:
The author of the question deserves a big FAIL. It could be another one of those copy and paste with parts left out and thus becomes ambigious, or non-sensical.

Anyways,do you know anything about hydrostatic forces, bouyancy, pressure? which is probably waht the question was supposed to get at.

What is your reasoning, or calculations, that the answer should "be equal"?

I have a scant knowledge of hydrostatics, to say the least.

My answer is just a guess, given that they are identical triangles and they are at the same depth. The only difference is their position, but the basic formulas of pressure and force do not consider the position:

p=dgh
F=PA

Am I wrong?, what else should I consider?.

Thank you in advance.

Yes. A big fail for the author of the question, or cut-and-paste squad. Pressure on a "triangle", something with zero thickness?

Likes Ikastun
Perhaps the best (most interesting, most educational) question to ask is: What is the force exerted by the bottom of the pool on the triangle? It's different for the two triangles, and when you can see why you'll have nailed this class of problems.

Likes Ikastun and rootone
My answer is just a guess, given that they are identical triangles and they are at the same depth.

Are they? The centroid of a triangle is 1/3rd of the way up from the base. So isn't 2 slightly deeper than 1 ?

Likes Ikastun
Could you guys who think it is a bad question explain why you think so?

russ_watters said:

It's not clear which force the question is asking for. The net force on the triangle? The hydrostatic force on the triangles? Or the force exerted by the bottom the container on the triangles?

Nugatory said:
It's not clear which force the question is asking for. The net force on the triangle? The hydrostatic force on the triangles? Or the force exerted by the bottom the container on the triangles?
I think the hydrostatic force is being implied. Secondly, the question does not ask for a numerical answer - there is no need to know the 3rd spatial dimension features of the triangles or the pool to answer this question. No offense to anyone, but I think the question is obviously talking about prisms of equal depth into the page (so one only needs to concentrate upon the 2 dimensional view), since the answer cannot otherwise be determined with the given information (unless there were some omissions while posting the question).

russ_watters said:

My objection is that the author seems to not have considered the following simple analysis:
Since the triangles are fixed in position, there is no acceleration, and according to Fnet = ma, with acceleration a being 0, the net force Fnet = 0.
In which case, " On which triangle will a greater force be exerted?" has the answer "equal on both".

Of course,
Fnet = Fmg + Fbouyancy + Fbottom = 0
which he/she thought would be a nice tricky question.
But really, Is it?

Likes Ellispson
there is no need to know the 3rd spatial dimension features of the triangles
Normally the 3rd dimesnion is taken as a thickess of unit 1.

Nugatory said:
In the absence of qualification, isn't "all" implied (all forces we can see in the diagram)? I don't think we have a grammar issue like in the last thread.

Also, in question's like this, lack of information requires the student to use the process of elimination. Is it just the hydrostatic force or also the normal force? Is triangle 2 sealed to the bottom? Turns out, with a bit of logic, those two issues cancel each other out.

Agree the question is worded too vaguely. But I think the intent of the question is hydrostatic forces. Although as correctly pointed out, the net force must be 0 since acc = 0. The magnitude of the hydrostatic forces on the individual faces is relevant. The question could have been worded, as you fill the container with more and more water, which triangle will crush first? The answer would certainly be 2. The centroid of the 2 triangle is lower than 1's, thus 2's hydrostatic pressure will be greater. One thought experiment you can do is imagine the tank is only filled to a depth just equal to the height of the triangles. Triangle 1 would have virtually no force on one entire sides. While triangle 2 would have no force only at a vertex.

Likes Ikastun
256bits said:
Normally the 3rd dimesnion is taken as a thickess of unit 1.

The question could have used "triangular prisms" or is this too much to ask of middle school(?) science students?

I took the small black triangle pointing down at the 2 horizontal lines just below the surface as a pictorial indication of hydrostatic force.

russ_watters said:
In the absence of qualification, isn't "all" implied (all forces we can see in the diagram)? I don't think we have a grammar issue like in the last thread.

Also, in question's like this, lack of information requires the student to use the process of elimination. Is it just the hydrostatic force or also the normal force? Is triangle 2 sealed to the bottom? Turns out, with a bit of logic, those two issues cancel each other out.
My interpretation is that the question asks for a comparison of the sum of the magnitudes of the forces on the three sides on each triangle.

Since it is rarely meaningful to add the magnitudes of forces while ignoring their directions, the question seems a poor one.

OK its not a perfectly worded question, but:
  1. this is a mechanical aptitude test, and to my mind making sense of imperfect information is a relevant part of assessing mechanical aptitude;
  2. the question states that the "triangles" are identical, so their 3rd dimension is irrelevant - in fact you can even assume they ARE triangles with zero thickness;
  3. one possible answer is "the net force on each triangle is zero because they are fixed in position", but that is not the best answer because it doesn't make use of all the information provided in the question; a better answer is "the force of water pressure on triangle 2 is greater because the mean depth of its surface area is greater".

Likes Merlin3189 and Ikastun
jbriggs444 said:
My interpretation is that the question asks for a comparison of the sum of the magnitudes of the forces on the three sides on each triangle.

Since it is rarely meaningful to add the magnitudes of forces while ignoring their directions, the question seems a poor one.
So don't - it doesn't change the answer if you include the directions. In fact, solving that (if we had the numbers) provides the buoyant force (if not sealed to bottom).

russ_watters said:
So don't - it doesn't change the answer if you include the directions. In fact, solving that (if we had the numbers) provides the buoyant force (if not sealed to bottom).

If it's not sealed to the bottom, the buoyant forces are clearly equal. As is the weight of the triangles and the force required to fix them in place. No reasonable vector sum fits the "correct" answer.

If it is sealed to the bottom, one can still find a state of affairs where both triangles have zero net force. So that still fails to produce the "correct" answer.

jbriggs444 said:
If it's not sealed to the bottom, the buoyant forces are clearly equal.
Why?

MrAnchovy said:
Why?
Equal volumes submerged in fluid of equal density. Unless you are going for second order effects where the fluid is more dense when deeper.

jbriggs444 said:
Why are you ignoring the magnitude of the force on the faces of the triangles? If they are triangles (with zero thickness) the force on the sides is zero.

MrAnchovy said:
Why are you ignoring the magnitude of the force on the faces of the triangles? If they are triangles (with zero thickness) the force on the sides is zero.

Reaching back to the problem definition to rationalize an answer... Because the triangles are "fixed in place". If the triangles are of zero thickness and we are looking at pressure on their faces, that specification is pointless.

stedwards said:
The question could have used "triangular prisms" or is this too much to ask of middle school(?) science students?
Good point. It may have been an overwhelming state of affairs for both the student, AND the administrators.

jbriggs444 said:
Reaching back to the problem definition to rationalize an answer... Because the triangles are "fixed in place". If the triangles are of zero thickness and we are looking at pressure on their faces, that specification is pointless.

Okay, I think we will have to agree to differ - you think the question is asking which triangular prism feels the greatest buoyant force (and the clue "the triangles are fixed in position" does point towards this) and I think the question is asking which triangle feels the greatest pressure (and the fact that the shape is described as a triangle, not a prism, points towards this).

A heuristic that works for me is that if we're 26 posts in and still trying to decide exactly what the question is asking... We may not know what the question is, but we know that it is... ah... shall we say... inartfully drafted :smile:

The discussion of which forces are at play under which conditions is interesting and valuable, but we're probably better off specifying the conditions we're assuming than we are assuming that everyone is readint the problem the same way.

Likes pbuk
DTM said:
Agree the question is worded too vaguely. But I think the intent of the question is hydrostatic forces. Although as correctly pointed out, the net force must be 0 since acc = 0. The magnitude of the hydrostatic forces on the individual faces is relevant. The question could have been worded, as you fill the container with more and more water, which triangle will crush first? The answer would certainly be 2. The centroid of the 2 triangle is lower than 1's, thus 2's hydrostatic pressure will be greater. One thought experiment you can do is imagine the tank is only filled to a depth just equal to the height of the triangles. Triangle 1 would have virtually no force on one entire sides. While triangle 2 would have no force only at a vertex.

That may have been where the question got fouled up, by some faulty logic.
PS - not your logic its OK

Triangle 1 can be made into triangle 2 configuration by just tipping it over and pushing down while rotating about the vertex.
Pushing down means "more" force to produce the torque for the rotation if the triangles are less dense water.

Or vice-versa, release one vertex of triangle 2 and rotate about the other to obtain configuration 1.

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
If it's not sealed to the bottom, the buoyant forces are clearly equal. As is the weight of the triangles and the force required to fix them in place. No reasonable vector sum fits the "correct" answer.
You're right: so total force is the interpretation they were looking for.

Nugatory said:
A heuristic that works for me is that if we're 26 posts in and still trying to decide exactly what the question is asking... We may not know what the question is, but we know that it is... ah... shall we say... inartfully drafted :smile:
Depends: are we trying to answer the question or break it? I agree that asking for the scalar sum of the forces is a bit unusual, but when a student reads something unusual in a question, the first attempt should be to see if they can utilize that, not see if they can break it. The way I see it, this question was designed to test both hydrostatic force and overthinking.

Likes pbuk
If prism no 2 is sealed at the bottom, the "hydrostatic force" is larger on it, as in the proposed answer. It is not really buoyant force, as it points downwards.

On prism 1 we have the two equal forces on the sides, 2Fs (up) minus the force on the flat top Ff (down).
For the prism 2 we just have 2Fs (down). 2Fs> (2Fs-Ff)

jbriggs444 said:
Equal volumes submerged in fluid of equal density. Unless you are going for second order effects where the fluid is more dense when deeper.

Although the net buoyant forces are equal, the magnitude of the forces on the individual faces are different. If you had one scuba diver 10 feet down and another 100 feet down, their net buoyant forces are equal as they are both neutrally buoyant, but we would say the deeper diver has more force on him as the pressure all around him is greater. Another example would be if, instead of triangles under water, you had 2 weight lifters, one lifting a 10 lbs barbell above his head and another lifting a 100 lbs barbell. Which lifter has more force on him? Would anyone honestly answer they are both equal to 0, because they are not accelerating? In practical terms, when we speak of forces on things, we are concerned with stresses and strains. (Can you guess I'm an ME?) For every statics problem in the world, the net force is 0, but the load on the object creating stress is non-zero.

Likes Ikastun
Ikastun said:

-- because 2's center of gravity is deeper than 1's center of gravity

the liquid may be subject to compression with increase of pressure, so the densities arent really equal. though that effect is minimal for water, the liquid and the distances here are unspecified so it is a possibility. so even the archimedes force could be different for the two triangles.

eltodesukane said:
-- because 2's center of gravity is deeper than 1's center of gravity
This was also said in another post, and I have to echo it.

Look at the very bottom of the tank (say it is 10 meters in depth) ... that is the highest pressure. And the upside down triangle has a single point at that depth, while the rightside up triangle has an entire side at that pressure. The upside down triangle has an entire side at the lowest submersion, while the rightside up has a single point.

It is intuitive to think they are the same. The same shapes at the same depths. But the orientation actually puts one as deeper than the other, due to the center of cross sectional area. And due to the distribution of the asymmetry along the depth, there is difference in cumulative pressure.

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the strength or intensity of an interaction between two objects. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How is force exerted on a triangle?

Force exerted on a triangle is the result of the interaction between the triangle and another object or force. It can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance between the triangle and the point of application of the force.

3. What factors affect the force exerted on a triangle?

The force exerted on a triangle can be influenced by several factors, including the magnitude of the applied force, the angle of the force relative to the triangle, and the distance between the point of application of the force and the triangle.

4. How can force exerted on a triangle be measured?

Force exerted on a triangle can be measured using a force sensor or a force meter. These devices can accurately measure the magnitude of the force and its direction relative to the triangle.

5. What are some real-life examples of force exerted on triangles?

Force exerted on triangles can be seen in various everyday situations, such as a person pushing a door open, a car driving up a hill, or a person carrying a heavy object on their shoulder. In each of these examples, the force exerted on the triangle is what allows the object to move or resist movement.