Comparing Kinetic and Potential Energy in Circular Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of tension in a string that is used to swing a 1.7kg object in a vertical circle. The tension is found to be 16.71N at the top of the circle and 50N at the bottom. The angular velocity is assumed to be constant, although there is some discussion about the trade-off between kinetic and potential energy as the object moves through the gravitational field. Overall, the participants agree on the calculated values for tension.
ghostbuster25
Just wondering if anyone can check over my answer for a question.

Q) A 1.7kg object is swung on the end of a 0.6m string in a vertical circle. The object does one revolution every 1.1s. What is the tension in the string at the top of the circle? and the bottom?

A) m=1.79kg r=0.6m t=1.1s

[tex]\omega[/tex] = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]/1.1 = 5.711986643ms-1

F=mr[tex]\omega[/tex]2 = 1.7*0.6*5.7119866432=33.2793N
minus force due to gravity 1.7*9.8=16.6193N
= 16.71N at top

33.2793N + 16.6193N = 50N at the bottom

Many thanks

p.s( the omega is not to the power...its just the way it came out after i wrote it)

Physics news on Phys.org
What keeps the angular velocity constant? Shouldn't the mass' kinetic energy decrease as it climbs higher in the gravitational field (trading KE for PE)? Or are we to assume that whatever is swinging the string around is compensating for this?

The way I see it, there's nothing wrong. I got the same answers as you.

Ambidext said:
The way I see it, there's nothing wrong.
If you assume that ω is constant, as gneill points out.

Ambidext said:
The way I see it, there's nothing wrong. I got the same answers as you.

Compare the KE for the assumed constant-speed motion to the energy gained or lost due to change in PE as an object rises or falls through the same vertical distance (top and bottom of the loop). How do the magnitudes compare? Is is safe to assume constant speed?

FAQ: Comparing Kinetic and Potential Energy in Circular Motion

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path and keeps an object moving in a circular motion.

What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object moving in a circular motion.

How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

The centripetal force is responsible for maintaining the circular motion of an object by constantly changing its direction towards the center of the circle.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force include the force that keeps a satellite in orbit around the Earth, the force that keeps a car moving around a curved track, and the force that keeps a roller coaster on its track.

How can we calculate the magnitude of centripetal force?

The magnitude of centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.