Force on a stationary test charge from a moving charge

In summary, the Lorentz transformations in most E&M books state that the electric field and force on a test charge will be greater when another charge moves past it at a significant speed compared to c. This treatment takes into account the magnetic field of the moving charge. However, the equation for the electric field of a moving charge raises the question of whether it includes the effect of a changing magnetic field, which can also generate an electric field. It is likely that this effect is included in the equation, but it is not certain.
Joseph M. Zias
Given a test charge, let's say on the vertical y axis. Another charge vertically below it moves past at a significant speed compared to c. From the Lorentz transformations (in most E&M books) the electric field and thus the force on the test charge will be greater than would be the static coulomb force it the moving charge was instead at rest below the test charge. Does this treatment give the total force?

I ask because the moving charge is also said to have a magnetic field. A non moving test charge would of-course have no magnetic force on it if it is in a steady magnetic field. But the lower charge is moving by, so wouldn't its magnetic field be moving past the test charge and that moving magnetic field generate an electric field that would affect the test charge? Is this correct? If so, would this be a force in addition to the force mentioned above or does the above E force incorporate it?

By-the-way, I took E&M decades ago with the text from Reitz and Milford (yuk). Well I did, Rusty I am.

Physics news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
Have a look at this recent thread
Well that parallels Feynman's treatment and I see how that works. My question actually revolved around the equation for the electric field from a moving charge. The text I was using is Purcell/Moran and I am sure Feynman has the same.

The electric field of the moving charge was given as: E' = ( Q /4 pi eo r;^2) x (1-b^2) / (1-b^2sin^2 theta")^3/2. A relativistic equation. I wasn't sure if this would lead to the total force on the non-moving test charge. This field in the vertical direction is of course stronger than the field produced by a non moving charge. But regardless of its strength I questioned if this field as it moves past the non moving test charge would produce yet another field component - the moving charge having a magnetic field that in motion creates another E field. I suspect all is included in the above but I am not positive.

Joseph M. Zias said:
Given a test charge, let's say on the vertical y axis. Another charge vertically below it moves past at a significant speed compared to c. From the Lorentz transformations (in most E&M books) the electric field and thus the force on the test charge will be greater than would be the static coulomb force it the moving charge was instead at rest below the test charge. Does this treatment give the total force?

I ask because the moving charge is also said to have a magnetic field. A non moving test charge would of-course have no magnetic force on it if it is in a steady magnetic field. But the lower charge is moving by, so wouldn't its magnetic field be moving past the test charge and that moving magnetic field generate an electric field that would affect the test charge? Is this correct? If so, would this be a force in addition to the force mentioned above or does the above E force incorporate it?

By-the-way, I took E&M decades ago with the text from Reitz and Milford (yuk). Well I did, Rusty I am.
Let's say there is a magnetometer next to the test charge. And let's say once a minute another charge passes the test charge.

Okay now we have a pulsing current. When the current is increasing the reading on the magnetometer is going up, and an EMF is induced on the test charge.

Let's say the passing charge is a charged metal ball , length contracted to half of its normal length. Well, that length contraction would double the rate of the change of the current, which would double the induced EMF, right?

The aforementioned magnetic field, in the frame of the magnetometer, is what the magnetometer says it to be, the magnetometer does not know if it's a moving magnetic field or a still standing one. (We don't know or care either, that's my point.)

The magnetic field momentarily stops changing when it's at its maximum, so induced EMF is zero at that moment.

jartsa said:
Let's say there is a magnetometer next to the test charge. And let's say once a minute another charge passes the test charge.

Okay now we have a pulsing current. When the current is increasing the reading on the magnetometer is going up, and an EMF is induced on the test charge.

Let's say the passing charge is a charged metal ball , length contracted to half of its normal length. Well, that length contraction would double the rate of the change of the current, which would double the induced EMF, right?

The aforementioned magnetic field, in the frame of the magnetometer, is what the magnetometer says it to be, the magnetometer does not know if it's a moving magnetic field or a still standing one. (We don't know or care either, that's my point.)

The magnetic field momentarily stops changing when it's at its maximum, so induced EMF is zero at that moment.

Well, that of course makes sense. But my question relates to the relativistic equation given for the increased electric field of the moving charge. That equation generates a graph of increased electric field in the vertical direction. So being a relativistic equation with the increased field due to motion does this equation give the total field and thus total force on the test charge? I suspect is does but I am not certain. The moving charge produces a magnetic field that will change in strength at the test charge location and a changing magnetic field will generate an electric field. Is that included in the relativistic equation given above?

Joseph M. Zias said:
Well, that of course makes sense. But my question relates to the relativistic equation given for the increased electric field of the moving charge. That equation generates a graph of increased electric field in the vertical direction. So being a relativistic equation with the increased field due to motion does this equation give the total field and thus total force on the test charge? I suspect is does but I am not certain. The moving charge produces a magnetic field that will change in strength at the test charge location and a changing magnetic field will generate an electric field. Is that included in the relativistic equation given above?
Hey, I recognize that formula in post #3, it's "Biot-Savart law for point charge", derived by Oliver Heaviside 1888.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biot–Savart_law#Point_charge_at_constant_velocity

So let's see what Mr Heaviside says:
That (A), (B) represent the complete solution may be proved by subjecting them to the proper tests. Premising that the whole system is in steady motion at speed u, we have to satisfy the two fundamental laws of electromagnetism:—

(1). (Faraday's law). The electromotive force of the field [or voltage] in any circuit equals the rate of decrease of the induction through the circuit (or the magnetic current × -4π).

(2). (Maxwell's law). The magnetomotive force of the field [or gaussage] in any circuit equals the electric current × 4π through the circuit.

Besides these, there is continuity of the displacement to be attended to. Thus:—

(3). (Maxwell). The displacement outward through any surface equals the enclosed charge.

Since (A) and (B) satisfy these tests, they are correct. And since no unrealities are involved, there is no room for misinterpretation.
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_effects_of_a_moving_charge

He seems to be saying tat Faraday's law of induction is obeyed. (I don't really understand very much about that paper)
Let's check one thing:

E' = ( Q /4 pi eo r;^2) x (1-b^2) / (1-b^2sin^2 theta)^3/2

When the passing charge is closest to the test charge the sin of theta is 1. If the v is 0.866c, then
(1-b^2) / (1-b^2sin^2 theta)^3/2 = 2.0, so electric field is doubled.

I agree with that result, electric field strength should double.

Last edited:
Likes anorlunda

1. What is the force on a stationary test charge from a moving charge?

The force on a stationary test charge from a moving charge is a result of the electric field created by the moving charge. This force is given by the equation F = qE, where q is the charge of the test charge and E is the electric field created by the moving charge.

2. How does the distance between the charges affect the force?

The force between a stationary test charge and a moving charge decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, causing a decrease in the force experienced by the test charge.

3. What is the direction of the force on the test charge?

The direction of the force on the test charge is parallel to the direction of the electric field created by the moving charge. If the test charge is positive, the force will be in the same direction as the electric field, and if the test charge is negative, the force will be in the opposite direction.

4. Can the force on the test charge be negative?

Yes, the force on the test charge can be negative if the test charge is of the same sign as the moving charge. This means that the force will act in the opposite direction of the electric field, causing a repulsive force between the two charges.

5. How does the speed of the moving charge affect the force on the test charge?

The force on the test charge is directly proportional to the speed of the moving charge. This means that as the speed of the moving charge increases, the force on the test charge will also increase. This is because a higher speed results in a higher electric field strength, which leads to a stronger force on the test charge.