Force on a Wire In Uniform Magnetic Field

In summary, the magnetic force on a segment of wire of length L is F=ILBsin(θ), where θ is the angle between the current and the magnetic field. The magnitude of the force is found from the y and z components of the cross product, and without further information the Y component cannot be calculated.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

A long wire lying along the x-axis carries a current of 2.60 A in the +x direction. There is a uniform magnetic field present, given by B=0.003i + 0.004j + 0.002k, where i, j, k are the unit vectors along the cartesian coordinate axes') in units of Tesla. Calculate the y-component of the magnetic force acting on a segment of wire of length L = 17.5 cm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the formula F=ILBsin@
where F=force, I=Current, B=magnetic field in tesla, sin@=1 (b/c y-axis is perpendicular to x so @=90 degrees).
but that didn't work...I don't really know how to make sense of the B field equation?

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi bmb2009! :smile:

(have a theta: θ … or pick it up from the Quick Symbols box to the right of the Reply box :wink:)
bmb2009 said:
I tried using the formula F=ILBsin@
where F=force, I=Current, B=magnetic field in tesla, sin@=1 (b/c y-axis is perpendicular to x so @=90 degrees).

no, the θ in ILBsinθ is the angle between I and B

(the force F = LI x B is perpendicular to both I and B)

that gives you the magnitude of F, then find the component in the y direction :wink:

Can you be more thorough? Like i have no idea where to start our teacher never went over anything close to something with a b field given as components... so I Don't know how to find an angle from it and even if I did I would know how to find the Y component afterwards..

I tried:

since the B field and current are parallel in the x direction the f=0
so the magnitude of the force is the force from the y and z components which i plugged into get a number but how would you calculate of Y component without any more information?

bmb2009 said:
… so the magnitude of the force is the force from the y and z components which i plugged into get a number but how would you calculate of Y component without any more information?

show us your cross product calculations for the total F :smile:

What is the force on a wire in a uniform magnetic field?

The force on a wire in a uniform magnetic field is a perpendicular force that is exerted on a current-carrying wire when placed in a magnetic field. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is given by the equation F = ILB, where I is the current, L is the length of the wire, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

What is the direction of the force on a wire in a uniform magnetic field?

The direction of the force on a wire in a uniform magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule. If the current is flowing in the same direction as the magnetic field, the force will be perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field. If the current is flowing in the opposite direction, the force will also be in the opposite direction.

How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the force on a wire?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the force on a wire in a uniform magnetic field. As the strength of the magnetic field increases, the force on the wire also increases. This can be seen in the equation F = ILB, where B is the strength of the magnetic field. The greater the value of B, the greater the force on the wire.

What is the effect of the angle between the wire and the magnetic field on the force?

The angle between the wire and the magnetic field has a significant effect on the force exerted on the wire. When the wire is perpendicular to the magnetic field, the force will be at its maximum. As the angle decreases, the force will also decrease. When the wire is parallel to the magnetic field, the force will be zero.

How is the force on a wire affected by the length of the wire?

The length of the wire also plays a role in the force exerted on it in a uniform magnetic field. The longer the wire, the greater the force will be. This is because the length of the wire is a factor in the equation F = ILB. As the length of the wire increases, so does the overall force on the wire.