Force on magnet in magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force on a magnet placed in a magnetic field. The answer mentions the use of an interaction energy formula to determine the force, which involves taking the volume integral. The force is typically found by taking the gradient of the potential energy function, but this formula does not cover torques. Consideration of the physical system's freedoms is necessary for calculating torques. The use of this formula is also applicable to magnets within a solenoid's magnetic field.
Physics news on Phys.org
They work out the force from the potential energy function.

so i just have to take the potential energiy fuction, and get the volume integral for the interaction and so the force?

then for calculating i fill in the formulas ? and well, is B the allover flux density?

Last edited:
The force is usually the gradient of the potential energy function ... the integral was to find the function... so yeah, basically. It looks odd because magnets are annoying.
The formula does not cover torques... you will have to take account of the freedoms in the physical system you are concerned with as well.

How can i get the torque in? and, well, does it apply for magnets in the magnetic field of a solenoid? (inside)

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between force and magnetic field in a magnet?

The force on a magnet in a magnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field and the magnetic moment of the magnet.

2. How do you calculate the force on a magnet in a magnetic field?

The force on a magnet in a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula F = BIL, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current, and L is the length of the magnet.

3. What factors affect the force on a magnet in a magnetic field?

The force on a magnet in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the magnetic moment of the magnet, and the angle between the magnet and the magnetic field.

4. Can the force on a magnet in a magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the force on a magnet in a magnetic field can be changed by altering the strength of the magnetic field or the orientation of the magnet in relation to the magnetic field.

5. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the force on a magnet?

The force on a magnet in a magnetic field is dependent on the direction of the magnetic field. If the magnetic field is parallel to the orientation of the magnet, there will be no force. However, if the magnetic field is perpendicular to the orientation of the magnet, the force will be at its maximum.