1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force required to push wheel (not torque)

1. Jul 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How much force is required to push a wheel of radius 50 mm and moment of inertia 3.21*10^-4 kgm^2 to 20 mph in 5 seconds? The wheel has a mass of 0.29 kg.

The wheel is to be pushed straight and level at its axel 90 degrees to the horizontal.

2. Relevant equations

T = Ia = 5.74 Nm

F = T/r

3. The attempt at a solution

F = T/r = 5.74/0.05 = 114.8 N

My answer can't be correct because 114.8 N seems far too much force required to accelerate a 50 mm radius wheel to 20 mph in 5 s. That is less force required to push the 200 kg vehicle it supports, and there are another three wheels!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2012 #2
    Never mind, I found my error. I failed to include the negative power value when calculating torque. Torque is 5.7*10^-5, not 5.7! Therefore the force required to push the wheel is just 1.14 * 10^-3 N, which makes much more sense.

Feel free to delete this thread.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  4. Jul 24, 2012 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

work done by force = acquired linear + rotational kinetic energies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook