Maximum velocity for RWD vehicle on 6% grade without gear ratio

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
eqm
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Determine the maximum velocity attainable by a vehicle with the following conditions:
  • RWD
  • 6% grade
  • Weight = 20 kN
  • CG is 1.25 m behind front axle and 0.5 m above ground level.
  • Wheel base is 2.8 m.
  • Effective rolling radius of wheel = 30 cm
  • Coefficient of aerodynamic drag = 0.45 with frontal area 2.3m2
  • ρ = 1.25 kg/m3
  • Engine develops peak torque at 45 kW and 4000 rpm
  • The rotating inertia of the gearbox is and engine is 0.454 kgm2
  • The rotating inertia of each wheel with driveline is 1.76 kgm2
  • coefficient of friction between road and tire μ = 0.8

Homework Equations



Wr = (W l1cosθ + Rah + W h sinθ)/L

Max Tractive Effort = μ Wr

Ra = 1/2 ρ V2 A CD
​

The Attempt at a Solution



To solve this problem, I was going to first determine if the wheel torque is limited by the vehicle motor or by road adhesion, then find the maximum velocity using the limiting torque. I can get motor torque but am stuck at this point as I am not given a gear ratio to be able to convert motor torque to wheel torque.

TM = 30 P nrpm / π = 107.43 N/m

I know how to solve for everything else, its really just the the conversion to wheel torque that I'm stuck at (unless I'm approaching this problem entirely wrong).
​
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of converting engine power to engine torque, convert all resistances ##R## to power by multiplying them by the car velocity. So instead of:

##F_{wheels} - \sum{R} = ma##

Since wheel power is equal to engine power ##P_{eng}##, you can use:

##P_{eng} - \left(\sum{R}\right)v = mav##