Calculate Max Velocity for RWD Vehicle on 6% Grade | Homework Problem

In summary, to determine the maximum velocity attainable by a vehicle, the wheel torque must first be determined by considering if it is limited by the vehicle motor or by road adhesion. The motor torque can be calculated using the given information of peak torque and engine speed. To convert this to wheel torque, all resistances must be converted to power by multiplying them by the car velocity. Then, using this converted wheel power, the maximum velocity can be found by setting it equal to the engine power and solving for the acceleration.
eqm

Homework Statement

Determine the maximum velocity attainable by a vehicle with the following conditions:
  • RWD
  • 6% grade
  • Weight = 20 kN
  • CG is 1.25 m behind front axle and 0.5 m above ground level.
  • Wheel base is 2.8 m.
  • Effective rolling radius of wheel = 30 cm
  • Coefficient of aerodynamic drag = 0.45 with frontal area 2.3m2
  • ρ = 1.25 kg/m3
  • Engine develops peak torque at 45 kW and 4000 rpm
  • The rotating inertia of the gearbox is and engine is 0.454 kgm2
  • The rotating inertia of each wheel with driveline is 1.76 kgm2
  • coefficient of friction between road and tire μ = 0.8

Homework Equations

Wr = (W l1cosθ + Rah + W h sinθ)/L

Max Tractive Effort = μ Wr

Ra = 1/2 ρ V2 A CD

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve this problem, I was going to first determine if the wheel torque is limited by the vehicle motor or by road adhesion, then find the maximum velocity using the limiting torque. I can get motor torque but am stuck at this point as I am not given a gear ratio to be able to convert motor torque to wheel torque.

TM = 30 P nrpm / π = 107.43 N/m

I know how to solve for everything else, its really just the the conversion to wheel torque that I'm stuck at (unless I'm approaching this problem entirely wrong).

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of converting engine power to engine torque, convert all resistances ##R## to power by multiplying them by the car velocity. So instead of:

##F_{wheels} - \sum{R} = ma##

Since wheel power is equal to engine power ##P_{eng}##, you can use:

##P_{eng} - \left(\sum{R}\right)v = mav##

1. What is a vehicle systems problem?

A vehicle systems problem refers to any issue or malfunction with the systems and components of a vehicle that can affect its performance, safety, or functionality. This can include problems with the engine, transmission, brakes, steering, electronics, and more.

2. What are some common signs of a vehicle systems problem?

Some common signs of a vehicle systems problem include warning lights on the dashboard, strange noises or vibrations while driving, difficulty starting the vehicle, decreased fuel efficiency, and changes in the vehicle's handling or performance.

3. What should I do if I suspect a vehicle systems problem?

If you suspect a vehicle systems problem, it is important to address it as soon as possible. You should stop driving the vehicle and have it inspected by a qualified mechanic. Ignoring the issue could lead to further damage or safety hazards.

4. How can a vehicle systems problem be diagnosed?

A vehicle systems problem can be diagnosed through a combination of visual inspections, computer diagnostics, and test drives. A mechanic will also use their knowledge and experience to identify potential issues and determine the best course of action for repairs.

5. How much does it typically cost to fix a vehicle systems problem?

The cost of fixing a vehicle systems problem can vary greatly depending on the specific issue and the make and model of the vehicle. It is best to get a detailed estimate from a mechanic before proceeding with repairs. In some cases, the cost may be covered by a warranty or insurance.