Force resulting from a pressurized departing gas

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter tjhj
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Gas
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
tjhj
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello,
Thank you for your help.

So if I have a cylinder with a hole in it, and gas escaping from it. How can I find the resulting force that gas is exerting on the cylinder. So I can then find the acceleration it is imparting.

I know the density of the gas 2.85 lb/ft^3, and the mass flow rate of the escaping gas is 69.33 lb/s.

In a very small increment of time .001 milliseconds. There has been 6.933*10-5 lbs discharged.

What is the resulting force on the cylinder? Is it just the lbs of Gas discharged? I know the velocity of the gas is around 4000 ft/s, do I need this to find this out? or is the mass flow rate accounting for it?

Thank you,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that you need to use force = rate of change of momentum
You should really be using SI units...m, kg, s