Force to stop a person on a treadmill

In summary, the volunteer in the wheelchair shoots off the back of the treadmill when they stop rolling themselves forward?
canucks said:
Is there a way that I can verify the data?
What do you mean by "verify"? If you want to find the retarding force from the chair motor / brake from the data you have then that could be a problem.
After all, if you disconnect hands and drive from the chair and stop the treadmill, the chair will be stationary with no effort on the part of the user. You could pull against the chair with a force meter with brakes applied or, which is much more relevant, you could measure stopping time and distance with very basic stopwatch and tape measure. When you get down to it, that's what you want.
A treadmill is a treadmill and it can give a measure of the dynamic performance of a runner or chair user (with or without motor). I don't believe there are any force measurements available from the treadmill (?) so you can't expect to use it to measure forces.
It's a shame that the experiment wasn't properly planned in a way to produce all the parameters you wanted. The results that were produced show as much about the stored momentum in the treadmill mechanism as anything else, I think.
I guess you'll tell me that the equipment is no longer available but, if it is, a few simple tests on a road will give you stopping distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
assuming, hypothetically stroke length is 100 degree