Force transferred across a fulcrum

In summary, the formula for calculating force across a fulcrum is N_1m_1=N_2m_2, where N is force and m is distance away from the fulcrum. This is only useful for equilibrium problems. In a non-equilibrium problem, such as a catapult, energy, momentum, and angular momentum of the arm are also important factors to consider.
blondie :)
Ok, I am wondering what the formula is for calculating force across a fulcrum. If you were to have tension on one side of a fulcrum, and release that tension, how much force is transferred to the other side of the fulcrum?

Thanks,

Mitch Guzman

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]N_1m_1=N_2m_2[/tex] Where everything subscripted 1 is on one side and everything 2 is on the other, N is force, and m is distance away from the fulcrum. Rearranging it produces [tex]N_1\frac{m_1}{m_2}=N_2[/tex]. This only useful for equilibrium problems, i.e. the arm is balanced and not moving. Removing the force on the one side, will only allow the force of the other side to move down, i.e. no force is tranfered.
Not sure what you mean by your wording and the fact that your example is a non-equilibrium problem. That sounds more like a catapult, in which case you would be more interested in energy, momentum, and angular momentum of the arm so you know how massive to make your base so it doesn't jump up and crush someone or something important.

I suppose it would be more like a catapult actually. I suppose I'll have to search up energy and angular momentum then.

1. What is force transferred across a fulcrum?

Force transferred across a fulcrum refers to the amount of force exerted on one end of a lever or seesaw, which is then transferred to the other end through the fulcrum or pivot point.

2. How is the force transferred across a fulcrum measured?

The force transferred across a fulcrum is typically measured in units of newtons (N) using a force meter or spring scale.

3. What factors affect the amount of force transferred across a fulcrum?

The amount of force transferred across a fulcrum depends on the length of the lever arm, the distance of the load from the fulcrum, and the magnitude of the applied force.

4. What is the principle behind force being transferred across a fulcrum?

The principle behind force being transferred across a fulcrum is known as the law of the lever, which states that the product of the force applied and the distance from the fulcrum to the point of application is equal on both sides of the fulcrum.

5. How is the concept of force transferred across a fulcrum applied in real life?

The concept of force transferred across a fulcrum is applied in various real-life situations, such as using a crowbar to lift heavy objects, using a hammer to pull out nails, and using scissors to cut materials. It is also used in machines and tools such as seesaws, wheelbarrows, and pliers.