Forces during the motion of an object in a vertical circle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
influx
Messages
162
Reaction score
1
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1429010949.827634.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1429010959.628482.jpg


At D, by resolving and equating to centripetal force we know that R + W = mv^2/r, however, why do we assume R=0? Based on what?

I know my post is short and usually a longer solution is required but I do not have a problem with the maths in the attached, it's just the concept of letting R=0 that I need clarified.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
influx said:
View attachment 81979View attachment 81980

At D, by resolving and equating to centripetal force we know that R + W = mv^2/r, however, why do we assume R=0? Based on what?

I know my post is short and usually a longer solution is required but I do not have a problem with the maths in the attached, it's just the concept of letting R=0 that I need clarified.

Thanks
Based on the fact that normal forces are contact forces perpendicular to the tangent of the curve that in this instance must push on the object. If it is less than 0, contact is lost. So it must push with a value greater than 0. Problem is looking for minimums.
 
PhanthomJay said:
Based on the fact that normal forces are contact forces perpendicular to the tangent of the curve that in this instance must push on the object. If it is less than 0, contact is lost. So it must push with a value greater than 0. Problem is looking for minimums.

What happens at exactly R=0? It remains in a circular motion?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PhanthomJay
influx said:
What happens at exactly R=0? It remains in a circular motion?
Yes, gravity only supplies the centripetal force without contact at that point D. The pellet remains at a distance 2 feet from the center of the circle without 'dropping', even though contact is momentarily lost, and with a speed of [itex]\sqrt{rg}[/itex]. It behaves like a satellite in orbit at that specific point, no contact necessary at that point. If the speed was less than that, then continuous circular motion could no be maintained.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: influx