Solving Equation for Homework: What Equation to Use?

In summary, a baseball with a mass of 0.144 kg is observed in space moving at a speed of 8 m/s to the north. The Acme Tractor Beam can exert a pull force of 1.2 Newtons on the baseball. To calculate how long it will take for the tractor beam to slow down the baseball to a stop, the impulse equation, FΔt=Δp, can be used. The initial momentum is positive and the final momentum is zero, resulting in a negative Δp. The second attempt using the equation F(m/v) was incorrect. The correct answer is 0.96 seconds.
Ashleykins

Homework Statement

You are observing a baseball in space, with mass m = 0.144 kg. It is moving past your spacecraft with speed v = 8 m/sec, to the north. Your Acme Tractor Beam can exert 1.2 Newtons of pull force on that baseball.
CALCULATE: How long will it take your Acme Tractor Beam to slow down the baseball to a stop?

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure I used the wrong equations. For the first time, I used the impulse equation FΔt=Δp
So with this one, to calculate Δp I took mass (.144) x velocity (8m/s) and got 1.152
So 1.152=(1.2N)Δt. I divided both sides by 1.2 to get Δt=.96
This was incorrect.

On the second attempt, I tried another equation. F(m/v) and got .0216. This was also wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

See above!

Please help me figure out what equation I should be using!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Welcome to PF!

Your first method looks correct as long as you can assume that the force on the ball due to the tractor beam is always toward the south. You should add units to your answer. (When you're in a spaceship in space, it's not clear what "north" means. But I guess we can just ignore that.)

It is a good exercise to think about how the signs work out here. If you take north as the positive direction then the initial momentum is positive and the final momentum is zero. So, Δp is negative.

For your second attempt, how do you justify the expression F(m/v)?

How is 0.96s incorrect ?

Last edited:
Thank you for helping! My prof just sent out an email that this question was not formatted correctly, so it looks like my first attempt was actually right. :)

1. What is the first step in solving an equation for homework?

The first step in solving an equation for homework is to simplify the equation by combining like terms and using the appropriate order of operations.

2. How do I know which equation to use for a specific problem?

To determine which equation to use for a specific problem, you should carefully read the problem and identify the known values and the unknown value. Then, use your knowledge of equations and mathematical principles to select the appropriate equation.

3. What should I do if there are variables on both sides of the equation?

If there are variables on both sides of the equation, you should first try to simplify the equation by combining like terms. Then, use inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation.

4. Is it important to check my answer after solving the equation?

Yes, it is important to check your answer after solving the equation. This will help you identify any mistakes you may have made and ensure that your answer is correct.

5. How can I improve my equation solving skills for homework?

The best way to improve your equation solving skills for homework is to practice regularly. Start with simpler equations and gradually move on to more complex ones. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with a specific concept.