1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces revisted

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    I am trying to help a friend with this webassign problem:

Jean, who likes physics experiments, dangles her watch from a thin piece of string while the jetliner she is in takes off from Dulles Airport . She notices that the string makes an angle of 23° with respect to the vertical while the aircraft accelerates for takeoff, which takes about 18 seconds. Estimate the takeoff speed of the aircraft.

I just need a kick in the rear to get me started! I know that there is Tension and weight acting on the watch. I know that average a=v/t so average v=at and I know that F=ma
    But I am having trouble putting it all together since I do not have any mass or other numbers besides 18s.

Anyone got a hint for me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

The vertical component of the tension supports the weight of the watch while the horizontal component provides the acceleration force.
  4. Oct 23, 2007 #3
    Right, I am just not sure what to do without T or mg.....hmmmm
  5. Oct 23, 2007 #4
    Try breaking the Tension up into it's components and apply Newton's 2nd law.
  6. Oct 23, 2007 #5
    Obviously I am missing something big here. I do not have T; if I break it into components, I just get T_x=Tsin23 and T_y=cos23.... so by Newton's 2nd get [tex]\sum F_x=ma[/tex] so [tex]T\sin23=ma[/tex]

...I am missing how to use 18 seconds....
    ....and I don't see how I could cancel anything..arrrgggggghhh:mad:

What am I overlooking?
  7. Oct 23, 2007 #6
    Try applying Newton's 2nd law to [tex]\sum F_{y}[/tex] too.

This is actually a neat and useful solution, and simple enough that once you solve it you'll be able to remember it always :)
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  8. Oct 23, 2007 #7
    So...[tex]\sum F_y=0[/tex] -->[tex]T_y-mg=0[/tex] --->[tex]T_y=mg=T\cos23[/tex] so...hey....[tex]m=\frac{T\cos23}{g}[/tex]....looks like T will cancel if I plug that in.

I can't believe that they would give this to a high school student as the first of 15 problems....way to discourage the crap out of a bunch of kids who can't stand physics/math anyway.

I really think they should ease into the assignment a little more. Get these kids brains warmed up.

Christ...I would have given up if it were assigned to me.

thanks for the help,
  9. Oct 24, 2007 #8

Homework Helper

the horizontal component of the tension will be

[tex]T_H = T\sin(\theta)[/tex]

and the vertical

[tex]T_V = T\cos(\theta)[/tex]

but the horizontal component need to accelerate the watch

[tex]T_H = ma[/tex]

and the vertical need to cancel the weight

[tex]T_V = mg[/tex]

[tex]\frac{T_H}{T_V} = \frac{ma}{mg} = \frac{T\sin(\theta)}{T\cos(\theta)} = \tan(\theta)[/tex]

[tex]a = g \ tan(\theta)[/tex]
  10. Oct 24, 2007 #9
    This can also be solved geometrically:
  11. Oct 24, 2007 #10
    Thanks guys, but I already solved this in post #7. I was just babbling towards the end there :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?