1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula Manipulation

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1
    Hi, ive just taken higher physics at my local college, its been a few years since i left school and need to do some revision.

They expect me to be able to do some formula manipulation, i have no idea how to do this.. :bugeye: i need a beginners tutorial or if someone really nice person can explain the basics, because i am totally stuck, im not even sure what i should be looking for on the net.

it's only my first lesson, my second on friday and i feel like im falling behind already.
    also if if anyone could advise on what kind of skills i should need at higher level i would be greatful.

Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. Do you mean like algebraic manipulations?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_algebra

4. Aug 26, 2009 #3
    One very useful property of physics formulas is that they have units, and the units must be the same on both sides of the equation:

F = ma (Newtons = kilograms times meters/sec2)
    F dx/dt = ma dx/dt = ma v ( Newton meters/sec = Joules per sec = watts)

5. Aug 26, 2009 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You need to learn basic algebra, and that's mathematics, not physics.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook