Formula Manipulation Basics: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, the conversation is about someone who has just started taking higher physics at their local college and needs to do some revision. They are struggling with formula manipulation and are looking for a beginner's tutorial or someone to explain the basics. They are also concerned about falling behind and would appreciate advice on the necessary skills for higher level physics. One person suggests learning basic algebra as it is a necessary skill for physics.
rodneyspoon
Hi, I've just taken higher physics at my local college, its been a few years since i left school and need to do some revision.

They expect me to be able to do some formula manipulation, i have no idea how to do this.. :bugeye: i need a beginners tutorial or if someone really nice person can explain the basics, because i am totally stuck, I am not even sure what i should be looking for on the net.

it's only my first lesson, my second on friday and i feel like I am falling behind already.
also if if anyone could advise on what kind of skills i should need at higher level i would be greatful.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
rodneyspoon said:
Hi, I've just taken higher physics at my local college, its been a few years since i left school and need to do some revision.

They expect me to be able to do some formula manipulation, i have no idea how to do this.. :bugeye: i need a beginners tutorial or if someone really nice person can explain the basics, because i am totally stuck, I am not even sure what i should be looking for on the net.

it's only my first lesson, my second on friday and i feel like I am falling behind already.
also if if anyone could advise on what kind of skills i should need at higher level i would be greatful.

Cheers.

Welcome to the PF. Do you mean like algebraic manipulations?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_algebra

One very useful property of physics formulas is that they have units, and the units must be the same on both sides of the equation:

F = ma (Newtons = kilograms times meters/sec2)
F dx/dt = ma dx/dt = ma v ( Newton meters/sec = Joules per sec = watts)

rodneyspoon said:

Cheers.

You need to learn basic algebra, and that's mathematics, not physics.

Zz.

Related to Formula Manipulation Basics: A Beginner's Guide

1. What is formula manipulation?

Formula manipulation is the process of rearranging a mathematical equation to solve for a desired variable or simplify the expression.

2. Why is formula manipulation important?

Formula manipulation is important because it allows us to solve complex equations and make calculations in a more efficient and accurate manner.

3. What are the basic rules of formula manipulation?

The basic rules of formula manipulation include the commutative property (changing the order of terms), associative property (changing the grouping of terms), distributive property (factoring out common factors), and the inverse operations (performing the opposite operation to both sides of the equation).

4. How do you know when to use formula manipulation?

Formula manipulation is commonly used when solving equations with multiple variables, when simplifying expressions, and when finding the relationship between different quantities.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when manipulating formulas?

Some common mistakes to avoid when manipulating formulas include forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation, not using the correct order of operations, and making computational errors. It is also important to check your final answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.