Finding a Good Fortran Intro Text: Examples & Exercises

In summary, Fortran is a programming language used in scientific and engineering applications. It has a long history and is specifically designed for numerical computations. A good Fortran introductory text should have clear explanations, examples, and exercises, covering the latest version of Fortran. Some recommended texts include "Fortran for Scientists and Engineers", "Modern Fortran Explained", and "Fortran 90/95 for Scientists and Engineers". Prior programming experience is not necessary to learn Fortran, but basic knowledge can be helpful. The best way to practice and improve Fortran skills is by writing code, solving exercises, and joining a Fortran community or participating in coding challenges.
Somefantastik
Can someone suggest a good fortran introductory text, with examples and exercises?

Technology news on Phys.org
Fortran 90/95 (or 95/03) for scientists and engineers (by Chapman) is a good introduction/reference book - it's very comprehensive, and it has lots of well worked examples & exercises

I understand the importance of finding a good introductory text for Fortran with examples and exercises. Fortran is a powerful programming language commonly used in scientific computing, and having a strong foundation in it can greatly benefit any researcher or scientist.

There are several options for Fortran introductory texts with examples and exercises, depending on your specific needs and background in programming. Some popular choices include "Fortran 95/2003 for Scientists and Engineers" by Stephen Chapman, "Modern Fortran: Style and Usage" by Norman S. Clerman and Walter Spector, and "Introduction to Fortran 90/95" by Stephen J. Chapman.

It may also be helpful to seek out online resources, such as tutorials or video lectures, to supplement your learning. Additionally, many universities offer courses or workshops on Fortran, which can provide hands-on experience and guidance from experienced instructors.

In summary, I recommend thoroughly researching and comparing various Fortran introductory texts to find the one that best suits your needs and learning style. With dedication and practice, you will soon become proficient in Fortran and be able to apply it to your scientific research. Good luck!

What is Fortran and why is it important?

Fortran is a programming language commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It was first introduced in the 1950s and has since undergone several updates. It is important because it is specifically designed for numerical computations and has many built-in functions and libraries for scientific computing.

What should I look for in a good Fortran introductory text?

A good Fortran introductory text should have clear explanations of the language's syntax and features, as well as plenty of examples and exercises for practice. It should also cover the latest version of Fortran and have a well-organized structure for easy learning.

Are there any recommended Fortran introductory texts?

Yes, some recommended Fortran introductory texts include "Fortran for Scientists and Engineers" by Stephen Chapman, "Modern Fortran Explained" by Michael Metcalf, and "Fortran 90/95 for Scientists and Engineers" by Brian Hahn and Daniel Valentine. These books are widely used and have received positive reviews from users.

Do I need any prior programming experience to learn Fortran?

No, you do not need any prior programming experience to learn Fortran. However, some basic knowledge of computer programming concepts such as variables, loops, and functions can be helpful. Fortran has a relatively simple syntax, making it accessible for beginners.

How can I practice and improve my Fortran skills?

The best way to practice and improve your Fortran skills is by writing code and solving exercises. Many Fortran introductory texts come with practice problems and exercises, but you can also find additional resources online. Additionally, joining a Fortran community or participating in coding challenges can also help you improve your skills.