Foucault pendulums -- ordering the part that connects the string to the ceiling

In summary, Paul Davis is trying to explain to someone how the Ferrule Pendulum works without a ball bearing.
Althepump
Do you know where I can order a part that connects string to the ceiling? The part has to be rotate free with very tiny friction. Inside the part may be air filled or vacuum. There has to be no hard wired connection between the ceiling and the part.

I would make one if I know how.

Hope someone would reply disregarding my ignorance. I know the experiment is interesting...fantastic to prove the Earth is rotating.

Physics news on Phys.org
How heavy of a pendulum are you thinking about? I'd expect that commercial ball or roller bearings would work... maybe try taking apart a non-driven wheel from a junk bicycle, motorcycle, or automobile?

Nugatory said:
How heavy of a pendulum are you thinking about? I'd expect that commercial ball or roller bearings would work... maybe try taking apart a non-driven wheel from a junk bicycle, motorcycle, or automobile?

Small. I might consider mini pendulum experiment.

I am focused right on the ceiling. An inch or less from the ceiling. Something right below ceiling has lazy Susan movements. I need that part with these movements. I am aware taping a thread or string directly to the ceiling is not possible.

Your suggestion about ball bearing is acceptable. It acts like bob on the end of the pendulum right near the floor. I am talking about the top ceiling.

I

I'm talking about the top ceiling too. Fix the outer race of the bearing to the ceiling horizontally, attach the top of the pendulum to the inner race, and you'll have the lazy Susan movement you're looking for.

Oh, I see. Thank you for making it clear. Do you know of a retail store where I can purchase bearings? Home Depot? Lowes? Pep Boys? Or your suggestion?
After purchase, I will rig up the inner to pendulum and outer race to the ceiling of the bearing and then watch it. As long as it responds to the Earth rotation, I will be satisfied although it won't be accurate due to friction and other factors.

For a light load you might consider finding an old hard drive. They have some really nice ball bearings inside.

BoB

Likes Nugatory
Rbelli1, good thought. I prefer to try Ebay. They have some ball bearings.
Paul Davis, it may not be a good reading for me. It says about a ferrule attached to a string. I cannot understand how it works without ball bearing thou Foucault managed to do it In his days.

1. How does a Foucault pendulum work?

A Foucault pendulum is a device used to demonstrate the rotation of the Earth. It consists of a long, heavy pendulum suspended from the ceiling, with a sharp point at the bottom. As the pendulum swings back and forth, the rotation of the Earth causes the plane of the pendulum's swing to rotate, creating a visual effect over time.

2. What is the purpose of the part that connects the string to the ceiling?

The part that connects the string to the ceiling is crucial for keeping the pendulum stable and in motion. It is typically a sturdy metal piece that attaches to the ceiling and provides a stable point for the pendulum to hang from.

3. How do you order the part that connects the string to the ceiling for a Foucault pendulum?

The part that connects the string to the ceiling can be purchased from scientific equipment suppliers or found at hardware stores. It is important to ensure that the part is strong enough to support the weight of the pendulum and securely attach it to the ceiling.

4. Is there a specific size or material required for the part that connects the string to the ceiling?

The size and material of the part that connects the string to the ceiling can vary, as long as it is strong enough to support the pendulum and securely attach it to the ceiling. However, it is important to make sure that the part is not too heavy, as this can affect the pendulum's movement.

5. Can the part that connects the string to the ceiling be easily replaced if it breaks?

Yes, if the part that connects the string to the ceiling breaks, it can be easily replaced. However, it is important to ensure that the replacement part is the same size and strength as the original to maintain the stability of the pendulum.