Fourier analysis of wave packet

In summary: I should have spotted the typo in my post (the first one) where I had the wrong denominator in the 1.08 term. Sorry for wasting your time.No, you didn't waste my time. It is my pleasure to help.
ognik

Homework Statement

Assume ## \phi(k_x ) = \sqrt2 {\pi}## for ## \bar{k}_x - \delta \le k_x \le \bar{k}_x + \delta##, and ##= 0## for all other values of ##k_x##. Calculate ##\psi(x, 0)##, and show that ## \Delta x \Delta k_x \approx 1 ## holds if ## \Delta x## is taken as the width at half maximum.

Homework Equations

## \psi (x,0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int \phi (k_x) e^{i k_x x} dk_x ##

The Attempt at a Solution

## \psi (x,0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{\bar{k}_x - \delta } ^{\bar{k}_x + \delta} \sqrt{2 \pi} e^{i k_x x} dk_x ##

## = \frac{ e^{i k_x x}}{ix} |_{\bar{k}_x - \delta } ^{\bar{k}_x + \delta} ##

## = \frac{ e^{i \bar{k}_x x}}{x} 2 sin(x\delta) ##. If ##\delta## is small we can approximate to ## e^{i \bar{k}_x x} 2 \delta ##

Is this right please?
---------------
How do I argue that ## \Delta x \Delta k_x \approx 1 ## holds if ## \Delta x## is taken as the width at half maximum?
I think that ##\psi_{max} = 2 \delta ## ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
If ##\delta## is small we can approximate to

Don't make this approximation.

Likes ognik
George Jones said:
Don't make this approximation.
I expected that ... in the meantime I thought of using a taylor approx, making it

## = e^{i \bar{k}_x x} (2 - \frac{x^2}{3} + \frac{x^4}{60} ) ## ?

The sinc function is defined by

$$sinc(u) = \frac{sinu}{u}.$$

Play around on WolframAlpha to find the u that gives the half-maximum of sinc(u).

Likes ognik
George Jones said:
The sinc function is defined by
$$sinc(u) = \frac{sinu}{u}.$$
Sorry if I am being dense, but I have ##\frac{sin(x \delta)}{x} ## ? Should I be thinking of ##\frac{\delta sin(x \delta)}{x \delta} ##

In which case, would the maximum be ##|\psi^*| = (2 \delta sinc (\delta x))^2 ## ?

ognik said:
Should I be thinking of ##\frac{\delta sin(x \delta)}{x \delta} ##
Yes, you can do that.
ognik said:
In which case, would the maximum be ##|\psi^*| = (2 \delta sinc (\delta x))^2 ## ?
I don't know what you actually want to calculate, if you want to calculate ##\psi(x,0)##, then there you have it with the sinc function. If you want calculate its magnitude (not maximum), it will be ##2\delta \textrm{sinc}(x\delta)##.

So now I have ## \frac{1}{2} | \psi |^2 = 2 \delta^2 [sinc (x \delta)]^2 ## but the maximum of ## sinc^2 ## is 1, so ## \frac{1}{2} | \psi |^2 = 2 \delta^2 = 2 \delta^2 [sinc (x \delta)]^2 ##, but I have no idea how to solve this eqtn for x, and thence ## \Delta x ##?

Also the width of ## \phi(k_x)## is ## 2 \delta ##, that is ## \Delta k_x ##?

ognik said:
## \frac{1}{2} | \psi |^2 = 2 \delta^2 = 2 \delta^2 [sinc (x \delta)]^2 ##
Shouldn't it be ##\frac{1}{2} | \psi |^2 = \delta^2 = 2 \delta^2 [sinc (x \delta)]^2 ##?
Indeed it's not possible to solve for ##x## analytically, the best you can do without the help of computer is to approximate the sine with its Taylor expansion truncated after, e.g two terms. Doing this,
$$
1=2\left(\frac{x\delta - \frac{1}{6}(x\delta)^3}{x\delta}\right)^2 \\
\frac{x\delta}{\sqrt{2}} = x\delta - \frac{1}{6}(x\delta)^3
$$
Solving for ##x## should be easy.
ognik said:
Also the width of ## \phi(k_x)## is ## 2 \delta ##, that is ## \Delta k_x ##?
Yes.

Likes ognik
Thanks (divided one side by 2 then got distracted...).
I quite often see Taylor truncated to 2 terms, is that a reasonable rule of thumb for OM? Or just a convenience because of the complexity the 3rd term usually adds? Also, If you wouldn't mind checking my algebra here...my final answer seems a little high?

##\psi: 1 = 2(1- \frac{(x \delta)^2}{6})^2 ##
## \therefore \frac{(x \delta)^2}{3} = 1 - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##
## \therefore x = \pm \frac{1}{\delta} [3(1 - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})]^{\frac{1}{2}} ##
## \therefore \Delta x = \frac{2}{\delta} (0.54) ##
## \therefore \Delta x \Delta k_x = 2 \delta \frac{1.08}{\delta} = 2.165 ## ?

ognik said:
I quite often see Taylor truncated to 2 terms, is that a reasonable rule of thumb for OM?
The number of terms in the expansion to be retained depends on the desired accuracy of the calculation, if you want you can add the next term into the expansion above if you want it to be more accurate.
ognik said:
##\therefore \frac{(x \delta)^2}{3} = 1 - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##
The denominator on the LHS is not correct.
ognik said:
my final answer seems a little high?
After taking into account the correction I pointed out above, the answer may even goes up slightly. So long as the numerical value is not greater than ten (or five to be safe), it's fine. In fact, the boxcar function is a wide localized function as compared to the other localized functions whose width can vary depending on the way it is defined.

Likes ognik
Thanks, I think that 'feel' for the max will be useful, and I've learned a lot else through your help.
I get 5.3 after fixing that denominator (should have been 6, I mustn't take short cuts in my algebra)

What is Fourier analysis?

Fourier analysis is a mathematical technique used to break down a complex signal or function into its individual frequency components. It is based on the principles of Fourier series and transforms, which represent signals as a sum of sinusoidal waves.

What is a wave packet?

A wave packet is a localized disturbance or oscillation that propagates through space or a medium. It is often used to describe the behavior of a quantum particle, where the wave packet represents the probability of finding the particle at a certain position and time.

How is Fourier analysis applied to wave packets?

Fourier analysis can be used to decompose a wave packet into its constituent frequencies. This allows for a more detailed understanding of the wave packet's behavior, such as its frequency distribution and how it evolves over time.

What is the relationship between Fourier analysis and the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. Fourier analysis of wave packets can help to quantify this uncertainty by providing information about the frequency distribution and spread of the wave packet.

What are some practical applications of Fourier analysis of wave packets?

Fourier analysis of wave packets has numerous applications in various fields, such as signal processing, imaging, and quantum mechanics. It is used to analyze and manipulate signals in communication systems, create images in medical imaging, and understand the behavior of quantum particles in quantum mechanics.