1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier coefficient problem

1. May 15, 2005 #1
    I need help with the last part of the following problem:

Let [tex]f(x)[/tex] be a [tex]2\pi[/tex]-periodic and Riemann integrable on [tex][-\pi,\pi][/tex].

(a) Assuming [tex] f(x) [/tex] satisfies the Hölder condition of order [tex] \alpha [/tex]
    [tex] \left| {f\left( {x + h} \right) - f\left( x \right)} \right| \le C\left| h \right|^\alpha ,[/tex]​
    for some [tex]0 < \alpha \le 1[/tex], some [tex] C > 0 [/tex] and all [tex] x, h [/tex].
    Show that
    [tex] {\hat f\left( n \right)} \le O ( \frac {1} { \left| n \right| ^ \alpha} ) [/tex]​
    where [tex] \hat f\left( n \right) [/tex] is the Fourier koefficient.

(b) Proove that the above result cannot be improved by showing that the function
    [tex] g\left( x \right) = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^\infty {2^{ - k\alpha } e^{i2^k x} } [/tex]​
    also with [tex]0 < \alpha \le 1,[/tex] satisfies
    [tex] \left| {g\left( {x + h} \right) - g\left( x \right)} \right| \le C\left| h \right|^\alpha .[/tex]​

I have done (a). And I was able to show that the sum satisfies the condition. What I don't understand is:
    how can I use it to show that the result in (a) cannot be improved?
    I thought that the sum can be iterpreted as the fourier series of [tex]g(x)[/tex], which would say that the Fourier coefficient of [tex]g(x)[/tex] is [tex]1/{n^\alpha}[/tex], where [tex]n=2^k[/tex]. That is the resemblence I see between (a) and (b). But I don't know what to do with that.

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2005 #2
    Ok, here's the way I reason:
    In (a) I showed that the fourier coefficient has an upper limit. Then in (b) I showed that a certain function satisfying the desired condition has a Fourier coefficient which is of the same size as the upper limit in (a). Then obviously the upper limit cannot be improved.
    Is it this obvious, or am I forgetting something?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?