1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series - Am I Crazy or is My Teacher Tricking Me?

1. Nov 3, 2012 #1
    I am SO annoyed with this problem. Ready to jump out a window.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the first three terms of the Fourier series that approximates f(θ) = tan(θ) from θ = -π/2 to π/2.

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I know that for an equation on [[itex]\frac{-b}{2}[/itex], [itex]\frac{b}{2}[/itex]], to define the Fourier series for that equation we use f(x)={a0+a1cosx+a2cos2x+ ... +b1sinx+b2sin2x+ ...}

I only need to find the first three terms, so its just a0+a1cosx+b1sinx.

a0 is defined as [itex]\frac{1}{\pi}[/itex][itex]\intf(x)dx[/itex] definite integral from -π/2 to π/2.

a1 is defined as [itex]\frac{2}{\pi}[/itex][itex]\int\f(x)cos(2πx/π)dx[/itex] definite integral from -π/2 to π/2.

b1 is defined as [itex]\frac{2}{\pi}[/itex][itex]\int\f(x)sin(2πx/π)dx[/itex] definite integral from -π/2 to π/2.

For a0, my antiderivative was -log(cos(x)). After substitution, a0=0.

For a1, my antiderivative was log(cos(x))-(1/2)cos(2x). After substitution, a1=0.

I have not done b1 yet. Am I being trolled?

Does this ave something to do with the fact that tan(x) is undefined at those two interval points? Am I going in the wrong direction???

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2
    If a function is odd, can it have cosine terms?
    If a function is even, can it have sine terms?

4. Nov 3, 2012 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Nov 3, 2012 #4
    Sorry, I didn't mean to repost. I was trying to change the red font and it reposted. Sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook