Fourier Series based on 2 limits for x

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a Fourier series and the evaluation of a sum involving n^2. The individual is struggling with integrating coshx cosx dx but eventually finds success with the help of a substitution. They later report that their test went well.
mullzer
i have an exam in these kind of questions in a few days so i was pracitsing a a few problems but I can't do them!
Any help would be appreciated.

Calculate the Fourier series for f(x) when f(x) = 0, on -pi <= x <= 0, and f(x) = coshx, on 0 <= x <= pi.
and show that SUM (from n=1 to infinity) 1/(1+n^2)= (1/2)((pi/tanhx) - 1)

So far i have that A0 = sinhx. When i try to integrate An, i get stuck at the integral of coshx cosx dx. i tried changing coshx into exponential form but i still end up in an endless circle of integration by parts.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi mullzer! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a pi: π and an infinity: ∞ and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
mullzer said:
When i try to integrate An, i get stuck at the integral of coshx cosx dx. i tried changing coshx into exponential form but i still end up in an endless circle of integration by parts.

you should get something like ∫ excosx dx = something - ∫ excosx dx …

now just put the second integral over on the LHS :smile:

Thanks very much for the help. The substitution of the integral worked.. and my the test went well in the end!

FAQ: Fourier Series based on 2 limits for x

What is a Fourier series based on 2 limits for x?

A Fourier series based on 2 limits for x is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a combination of sines and cosines. It is used to approximate a given function by breaking it down into simpler, periodic components.

How is a Fourier series based on 2 limits for x calculated?

A Fourier series based on 2 limits for x is calculated by integrating the given function over a period and using the resulting coefficients to construct the series. The series can then be used to approximate the function over any interval within the period.

What is the significance of 2 limits in a Fourier series based on 2 limits for x?

The 2 limits in a Fourier series based on 2 limits for x represent the start and end points of the interval within which the function is being approximated. This allows for more accurate approximation of the function over a specific range.

What are the advantages of using a Fourier series based on 2 limits for x?

A Fourier series based on 2 limits for x allows for more accurate approximation of a function compared to other methods. It also allows for easy manipulation of the function by changing the limits or adding more terms to the series.

Are there any limitations to using a Fourier series based on 2 limits for x?

A Fourier series based on 2 limits for x may not be a good approximation for functions that are not periodic or have discontinuities. It also requires a large number of terms to accurately approximate certain functions, which can be computationally expensive.