1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series (Clarification of Concept)

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone. I ran into a problem while attempting my Fourier Series tutorial. I don't really understand the "L" in the general formula for a Fourier Series (integration form). I shall post my question and doubts as images. Thank you for any assistance rendered.

<I am solving Q3 in the image.>

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Oct 16, 2014 #3
    Hi Simon. Thank you for your reply. The limits of the integral sign denotes which part of a graph you want to integrate. However, I am confused by the L outside the integral. From what I observe, it seems that L (outside the integral sign) is different from [-L, L] (which is your domain over which you want to integrate). Am I right to say this?

Thank you.

5. Oct 16, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They are the same ##L##. By the way, posting images instead of typing your work is frowned on in these forums. That goes double for images that are posted sideways.

6. Oct 16, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The same rules apply to that L as for any letter used as a name for a constant or a variable in algebra.
    That L is just a number. Where you see it, it's the same number.

7. Oct 17, 2014 #6

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But if you do do that, there are apps, at least one I know called DocScan HD which if you are taking these with I-pad or similar cleans them up from the hard-to-read grey-yellow.

8. Oct 20, 2014 #7
    Hi LCKurtz. Thank you for your help. I will take note about this and type instead of posting my questions as picture. Sorry.

9. Oct 20, 2014 #8
    I see. Thank you. I think I know where my mistake was. I failed to see that f(x) was 0 over a certain range, so I could have just changed the limits to (-pi/2) to (pi/2). :)

10. Oct 20, 2014 #9
    Hi epenguin. Thank you for your suggestion. The reason why I posted my question as a picture was because I am not familiar with LaTeX and I found that it can be quite hard to read if I typed it in purely character form. I will take note of your suggestion and try to type my questions out in the future. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted