1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier series of a periodic function not starting at x=-L

1. Dec 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In "oppgave 4" http://www.math.ntnu.no/emner/TMA4120/2011h/xoppgaver/tma4120-2010h.pdf
    you have a periodic function which is NOT periodic from ##x=-L=-\pi## to ##x=L=\pi##, but at ##x=0## and ends at ##x=2 \pi=2L##.

The formulas I have (like these http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/FourierSeries.aspx) for building up a fourier transform assumes the function is periodic and begins its period at ##x=-L## and ends at ##x=L##.

What am I to do?

3. The attempt at a solution

My gut feeling tells me I should just modify them so that the integration starts at ##x=0## and ends at ##x=2 \pi##.

Is this correct? why?

EDIT: Obviously I've missed some important theory on fourier analysis, so I hope you guys could enlighten me a bit? As a guess: The formulas I already got are built up using that cos and sin are perpendicular functions when their product is integrated from -pi to pi. Since the same holds if they're integrated from 0 to 2pi, all the existing formulas can painlessly be modified to also be valid for a function periodic from x=0 to x=2L? Or, x=x_0 to x=x_0 + 2L, for that matter?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If f(x) has period from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] then f(x- \pi) has period from [itex]-\pi[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex].

4. Dec 3, 2013 #3
    Ahh, so if I just do that transformation (##x \rightarrow x' - \pi##) on all the formulas, I'll end up with the limits going from ##x'=0## to ##x'=2 \pi##? Alright, thanks :)

So, for example: ##a_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{x=-\pi}^{x=\pi} f(x) dx = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{x'=0}^{x'=2 \pi} f(x'-\pi) dx'##, and ditto for ##a_n## and ##b_n##. But what about the ##(x'-\pi)## input of ##f## in the second integral? the function is shifted to the right?

How would I use the above result to find the fourier series of the function from the OP, using the original formulas?

5. Dec 3, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your function is periodic of period ##2\pi##. You can use the usual formulas on ##[-\pi,\pi]## as long as you have the right function ##f(x)## on that interval. If there is some reason given in the problem that you can't do this, well, I don't read German (or whatever that is).

6. Dec 3, 2013 #5
    I'm sorry, I formulated myself horribly in the OP. Should've read it before posting.

What I meant was:

f(x) is periodic, but its period starts on x=0 and ends on x=2pi, instead of starting at x=-pi and ending at x=pi like I am used to.
    The question: How am I supposed to find the fourier series of f(x) in oppgave 4, when all the formulas I know presume that the period of a periodic function f(x)=f(x+2pi) starts on -pi and ends at pi?

I tried transforming the coordinates of my usual formulas to fit the situation for f(x):

But I am doing it wrong.

So could somebody help to clear this up? I'd really appreciate it.

7. Dec 3, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't have to shift anything. Write the equation of that line segment in your picture on ##[-\pi,0]## and the equation of the line segment on ##[0,\pi]##. Use those two equations in a two piece formula ##f(x)## and use your standard formulas.

8. Dec 3, 2013 #7
    Could you write down the expressions for ##a_0##,##a_n## and ##b_n## as an example?

The function from oppgave 2 is this:

##f(x) = 2 \pi -x## for ##0 <x \leq \pi## and ##f(x) = 3 \pi - 2x## for ## \pi <x<2\pi##, while ##f(x) = f(x+ 2 \pi)##.

9. Dec 3, 2013 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. You already have ##f(x)## on ##(0,\pi)##. What is the equation of that line in your picture going from ##(-\pi,\pi)## to ##(0,-\pi)##? It's just a straight line segment. Write its equation and it is the other piece of ##f(x)##. Then use your standard formulas for the coefficients. You are going to have to break up the integrals like$$
    \int_{-\pi}^\pi = \int_{-\pi}^0+\int_0^\pi$$because of the two piece formula. Is that what is bothering you?

10. Dec 3, 2013 #9
    oh crap, nevermind. I thought you only could approximate a periodic function with a fourier expansion if the function is smooth over the interval you use to create the expansion. I realize that's incorrect now.

OK thanks for the help! :)

EDIT: But btw, it would be possible to also use the interval going from ##x=0## to ##x=2 \pi## to create a fourier series of the function, right?

11. Dec 3, 2013 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. You can use any ##2\pi## interval for the integration. If you use ##(0,2\pi)## you can use the two piece formulas you are given. For a function of period ##P##$$
    \int_0^P f(x)~dx = \int_a^{a+P}f(x)~dx$$for any ##a##.

12. Dec 3, 2013 #11
    ahh yes, of course. How silly of me. OK, thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted