Fourier Series Solution of 1-D Heat Flow

In summary, the problem involves finding the temperature at all times for a rod with a length of 1, given the initial condition u(x,0)=sin(πx) and boundary conditions u(0,t)=0 and u(1,t)=5. There may be some ambiguity in the boundary conditions, but it is suggested to seek clarification from the instructor. Possible interpretations include the boundary conditions only applying for t>0 or the initial condition only holding for 0<x<1.
Curtis15

Homework Statement

Length of rod = 1

Initial Conditions: u(x,0)=sin(πx)

Boundary conditions: u(0,t)=0 and u(1,t)=5.

Alright I am supposed to find the temperature at all times, but I am curious about the setup of the problem itself.

When x = 1, the boundary condition says that u = 5.

When t = 0, the initial condition says that u = sin(x∏).

So u(1,0) is supposed to equal what exactly? The boundary says it should be 5, but the initial condition says that sin(∏) = 0, so what would the answer be. I feel like this is contradictory but people are saying that it isn't and I am an idiot.

I have asked this somewhere else and got responses just saying this was a stupid question.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, it is contradictory. You should ask for clarification at your instructor.

A possible way to interpret the problem is that the ##u(1,t)=5## condition only holds for large ##t## and not for all ##t##.

micromass said:
You're right, it is contradictory. You should ask for clarification at your instructor.

A possible way to interpret the problem is that the ##u(1,t)=5## condition only holds for large ##t## and not for all ##t##.

You have no idea how much I appreciate this response. Thank you very much!

@curtis15: You didn't specify for what ##t## your boundary conditions ##u(0,t)=0,\ u(1,t)=5## apply. A reasonable interpretation would be for ##t>0##. Or you could think of the bar having the initial temperature distribution ##u(x,0) = \sin(\pi x)## suddenly inserted into a situation with those boundary conditions. I don't think there is anything contradictory here and working the problem should be straightforward.

[Edit, added later:] Another reasonable interpretation is to assume the initial condition ##u(x,0) = \sin(\pi x)## holds for ##0 < x < 1##. That works even better intuitively.

Last edited:

1. What is the Fourier series solution of 1-D heat flow?

The Fourier series solution of 1-D heat flow is a mathematical technique used to model the temperature distribution in a one-dimensional object over time. It involves representing the temperature as a sum of sine and cosine functions, with coefficients that depend on the initial temperature distribution and the thermal properties of the object.

2. How does the Fourier series solution of 1-D heat flow work?

The Fourier series solution works by using the Fourier transform to decompose the initial temperature distribution into its frequency components. These components are then used to construct a series of sine and cosine functions, which are then combined to form the solution for the temperature at any point in the object at any given time.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Fourier series solution of 1-D heat flow?

The Fourier series solution assumes that the object being studied is one-dimensional, has a constant thermal conductivity, and is in a steady state. It also assumes that there are no internal heat sources or sinks and that there is no heat transfer across the boundaries of the object.

4. What are the applications of the Fourier series solution of 1-D heat flow?

The Fourier series solution has a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is commonly used in heat transfer problems, such as analyzing the temperature distribution in a rod or plate, and it can also be applied to other types of wave phenomena, such as electrical signals and sound waves.

5. What are the limitations of the Fourier series solution of 1-D heat flow?

The Fourier series solution has some limitations, including the assumption of a one-dimensional object and steady state conditions. It also may not accurately model objects with complex geometries or non-uniform thermal properties. Additionally, the series may not converge for certain initial temperature distributions, making the solution invalid in those cases.