1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series Solution of 1-D Heat Flow

1. Mar 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Length of rod = 1

Initial Conditions: u(x,0)=sin(πx)

Boundary conditions: u(0,t)=0 and u(1,t)=5.

Alright I am supposed to find the temperature at all times, but I am curious about the setup of the problem itself.

When x = 1, the boundary condition says that u = 5.

When t = 0, the initial condition says that u = sin(x∏).

So u(1,0) is supposed to equal what exactly? The boundary says it should be 5, but the initial condition says that sin(∏) = 0, so what would the answer be. I feel like this is contradictory but people are saying that it isn't and I am an idiot.

I have asked this somewhere else and got responses just saying this was a stupid question.

Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You're right, it is contradictory. You should ask for clarification at your instructor.

A possible way to interpret the problem is that the ##u(1,t)=5## condition only holds for large ##t## and not for all ##t##.

4. Mar 30, 2013 #3
    You have no idea how much I appreciate this response. Thank you very much!

5. Mar 30, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@curtis15: You didn't specify for what ##t## your boundary conditions ##u(0,t)=0,\ u(1,t)=5## apply. A reasonable interpretation would be for ##t>0##. Or you could think of the bar having the initial temperature distribution ##u(x,0) = \sin(\pi x)## suddenly inserted into a situation with those boundary conditions. I don't think there is anything contradictory here and working the problem should be straightforward.

[Edit, added later:] Another reasonable interpretation is to assume the initial condition ##u(x,0) = \sin(\pi x)## holds for ##0 < x < 1##. That works even better intuitively.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted