Fourier Transform of a piecewise function

In summary, the problem is to find the Fourier transform of a piecewise function. The function is defined as f(t) = -1 for t < 0, f(t) = 1 for t > 0, and f(t) = 0 for all other values of t. The Fourier transform is given by F[f(t)] = ∫ -∞ ∞ e^(iωt)f(t)dt, and can be solved by breaking the integral into two parts and using the fact that f(t) is 0 elsewhere. The convention for the sign of the exponential depends on the direction of the Fourier transform. In physics, the forward Fourier transform from time to frequency space uses e^(-iωt),
Houeto
Here is the Problem Statement : Find Fourier Transform of the piecewise function

upload_2016-7-24_16-56-58.png

Can someone sheds some lights on how to start solving this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The Fourier transform of your function f(t) is given as:

$$ F\left[f(t)\right] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dt e^{i\omega t}f(t) = \int_{-\tau}^{0} -e^{i\omega t}dt + \int_{0}^{\tau} e^{i\omega t}dt $$

In the last step, I made use of the fact that f(t) is 0 elsewhere. As a final step, one can perform a simple integration to solve for the Fourier transform of f(t).

Likes Houeto and Delta2
Thanks Absalonsen! Is it e^(iwt) or e^(-iwt)?Let me know.

Houeto said:
Thanks Absalonsen! Is it e^(iwt) or e^(-iwt)?Let me know.

np. It is usually a convention to determine the sign of the exponential in Fourier transform. In physics, forward Fourier transform from time to frequency space is carried out by ##e^{-iwt}##, while forward Fourier transform from real space to momentum space contains ##e^{ikx}##.

Great work, piecewise functions are not easy to calculate!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a "piecewise function"?

A piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by different expressions on different intervals of its domain.

2. What is the Fourier Transform of a piecewise function?

The Fourier Transform of a piecewise function is a mathematical operation that decomposes the function into its constituent frequencies. It is used to analyze the frequency components of a signal or function, and is particularly useful in signal processing applications.

3. How is the Fourier Transform of a piecewise function calculated?

The Fourier Transform of a piecewise function is typically calculated using a mathematical algorithm, such as the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) algorithm. This algorithm computes the Fourier Transform using a discrete set of samples from the function, and is commonly used in digital signal processing.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Fourier Transform of a piecewise function?

The Fourier Transform of a piecewise function has many applications in various fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and image processing. Some examples include analyzing signals in communication systems, characterizing the frequency response of electronic circuits, and enhancing images through filtering in image processing.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier Transform of a piecewise function?

Like any mathematical tool, the Fourier Transform of a piecewise function has its limitations. It assumes that the function is periodic and continuous, which may not always be true in real-world applications. Additionally, the accuracy of the Fourier Transform depends on the number of samples used in the calculation, so care must be taken in selecting an appropriate sampling rate.