Fourier Transform - Rectangular Function Help

In summary, the speaker is a non-native English speaker seeking help with understanding a list of activities given by their teacher. They have done some research and solved some exercises, but are unsure of how to approach the problem. They ask for guidance and provide a function, X(t), and equations that they believe may be relevant. They also apologize for any inconvenience and express gratitude. They are directed to a Wikipedia page for further assistance.
soharca
1. Hi! I am new at this forum, and english is not my native language,
so, I hope I can make myself clear. A teacher send us a list of activities,
but he did not give us the theory about it (the theoretical class). So, I have
read a few things on the internet and I have solved some exercises. I want
to clearly state that I don't pretend to anyone do the exercise, but if you could
guide me, I will appreciate.

X(t)= 5Rect((t+2)/4)

Homework Equations

F(ω)=int^{\∞}_{-\∞}f(t)e^{jwt}dt (Fourier Transform definition)

Rect(t)=Rect(t)={(A ,if-t/2≪τ≪t/2 (Rectangular function definition)
0,if other)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need to know how to start.
I don't know where to substitute the 5 or the (t+2)/4Sorry to bother.
And thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that breaks down a function into its constituent frequencies. It is used to analyze periodic signals and determine the amplitude and phase of each frequency component.

2. What is a Rectangular Function?

A Rectangular Function, also known as a square wave, is a periodic function that alternates between two constant values. It has a defined width and repeats infinitely.

3. How is a Rectangular Function related to a Fourier Transform?

A Rectangular Function is the simplest periodic function and can be used as a building block to model more complex periodic signals. It is also useful for understanding the concept of harmonics, which are multiples of the fundamental frequency found in a Fourier Transform.

4. What are the applications of Fourier Transform and Rectangular Functions?

Fourier Transform and Rectangular Functions have numerous applications in various fields such as signal processing, image analysis, and data compression. They are also used in audio and video processing, as well as in solving differential equations and other problems in mathematics and physics.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Fourier Transform and Rectangular Functions?

One limitation of using Fourier Transform and Rectangular Functions is that they are best suited for analyzing periodic signals and may not be as effective for non-periodic signals. Additionally, Fourier Transform can be computationally intensive for large datasets and may require advanced mathematical knowledge to fully understand and interpret the results.