Frame for lighter-than-air aircraft.

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of practical and cheap airship designs. The speaker calculated that an airship with a cylindrical shaped envelope, 300' long and 75' in diameter, could lift approximately 45 tons if filled with hydrogen. The question of whether or not a frame would be necessary and what material would be best for it was raised, taking into account weight and cost. The speaker clarified that this was simply an interest and not an actual plan for construction. Possible solutions were suggested, such as using a semi-rigid frame made of aluminum rods, but concerns about weight and maintaining shape were also raised.
GTeclips
Hello everyone.

I have been trying to think of some practical and cheap airship designs. I have done some calculating, and if you were to have an airship's envelope in a cylindrical shape that is 300' long and 75' in diameter, it would be able to lift approximately around 45 tons if filled with hydrogen as a lifting gas (Not factoring in the atmospheric affects on the hydrogen's density) (Not including the weight of the envelope nor gonadal).

Question: If you were to have an envelope of this design, would it require a frame, and if so, what would be the best material to make it out of (Factoring in the weight and cost of said material)?

*Note* I do not actually intend on constructing a lighter-than-air aircraft. This is just an interest of mine.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Check out blimps/Hindenburg/hydrogen.

Are you proposing something fundamentally different?

Any vessel that relies on internal pressure for rigidity will try to turn itself into a sphere. How do you stop the flat ends becoming domed? Anyway you want them domed so it goes through the air more easily. See also what jehake12 said.

Thank you for the replies!

I have actually done some debugging to my design, it would appear that a semi-rigid frame would be the logical choice, holding the general shape of the envelope and allowing the gas pressure to do the rest.

I would plan on crafting the frame of aluminum rods. My only concern is that if I made the frame of aluminum rods, it would weight the craft down too much, but if I use hollowed out aluminum piping, it would lose it's shape. Do any of you have any thoughts on a possible solution?

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your ideas and calculations regarding a lighter-than-air aircraft. I can provide some insights on the frame design and material selection for such an aircraft.

Firstly, yes, an envelope of this size and shape would require a frame for structural support. The frame would provide stability and shape to the envelope, as well as bear the weight of the payload and any external forces such as wind.

In terms of material selection, there are a few factors to consider. The material needs to be lightweight to minimize the overall weight of the aircraft, but also strong enough to withstand the stresses and forces it will experience during flight. Some potential materials that could meet these requirements are lightweight metals such as aluminum or titanium, or composite materials such as carbon fiber.

Cost is also an important factor to consider. While materials like titanium may be strong and lightweight, they can also be quite expensive. Therefore, it would be important to find a balance between strength, weight, and cost when selecting a material for the frame.

Additionally, the frame design itself can also play a role in the overall weight and cost of the aircraft. A well-designed frame with efficient use of materials can help reduce weight and cost.

Overall, designing a frame for a lighter-than-air aircraft is a complex task that requires careful consideration of various factors such as strength, weight, and cost. I hope this information is helpful and wish you all the best in your endeavors.

1. What materials are typically used to make a frame for lighter-than-air aircraft?

The most commonly used materials for frames of lighter-than-air aircraft are lightweight metals such as aluminum, titanium, and magnesium. Other materials like carbon fiber and composites may also be used.

2. How is the frame of a lighter-than-air aircraft designed?

The frame of a lighter-than-air aircraft is designed to be strong enough to withstand the pressure of the gas inside the envelope, while also being lightweight and aerodynamic. Engineers use computer-aided design (CAD) software and conduct stress and load analysis to ensure the frame can support the weight of the envelope and any attached equipment.

3. Can the frame of a lighter-than-air aircraft be repaired if damaged?

Yes, the frame of a lighter-than-air aircraft can be repaired if damaged. Minor damage can be fixed with patching and reinforcement, while more severe damage may require replacement of parts or sections of the frame. Regular inspections and maintenance can help prevent damage and ensure the frame remains in good condition.

4. How long does it take to construct a frame for a lighter-than-air aircraft?

The construction time for a frame of a lighter-than-air aircraft can vary depending on the size and complexity of the aircraft. A smaller, simpler frame may take a few weeks to construct, while a larger, more complex frame could take several months.

5. What are some advantages of using a frame for lighter-than-air aircraft?

Using a frame for lighter-than-air aircraft allows for a stronger and more stable structure to support the envelope and any attached equipment. It also allows for better control and maneuverability of the aircraft. Additionally, the frame can protect the envelope and gas inside from external elements such as wind and debris.