Fraunhofer diffraction and Fourier transform

In summary, the Fourier transform of an aperture can be understood as a mathematical model for the diffraction of light. While some may seek a physical understanding, it is primarily a mathematical concept. Goodman's "Introduction to Fourier Optics" offers a detailed explanation in chapter 4 or 5, while Hecht's book primarily focuses on the mathematical aspects.
TheDestroyer
a Fourier transform of an aperature results the pattern of the fraunhofer diffraction fringes at infinity of light passing that aperature.

How can we understand that point physically? I tried much to think about it! but no use.

Everyone, Please give your thought about this, so I can have many views about this.

Science news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by a 'physical' understanding; the result you mention is due to mathematically modeling the process of diffraction.

Goodman's book "Introduction to Fourier Optics" has a clear derivation of the result in chapter 4 or 5.

I have Hecht book, It explains the thing mathematically only, And I mean by physical understanding, the relation between the nature and the mathematical Fourier transform, For example you can relate the Curl operator with nature by saying a wire containing an electric current produces a rotating magnetic field.

What is Fraunhofer diffraction?

Fraunhofer diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave, such as light or sound, passes through an aperture or around an obstacle and spreads out in a pattern. It can be described mathematically using the Fourier transform.

What is the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a signal into its individual frequency components. It is commonly used in optics and signal processing to analyze and understand complex wave patterns.

How are Fraunhofer diffraction and Fourier transform related?

Fraunhofer diffraction and Fourier transform are closely related because the Fourier transform is used to mathematically describe the diffraction pattern produced by a wave passing through an aperture. In other words, the Fourier transform helps us understand and predict the pattern of Fraunhofer diffraction.

What are the applications of Fraunhofer diffraction and Fourier transform?

Fraunhofer diffraction and Fourier transform have many practical applications, including in optics for analyzing the diffraction patterns of light passing through various objects, in signal processing for analyzing and filtering signals, and in medical imaging for creating detailed images of internal structures using X-rays or ultrasound waves.

What is the difference between Fraunhofer diffraction and Fresnel diffraction?

The main difference between Fraunhofer diffraction and Fresnel diffraction is the distance between the source of the wave and the aperture or obstacle. In Fraunhofer diffraction, the distance is much greater, resulting in a simpler diffraction pattern that can be described using the Fourier transform. In Fresnel diffraction, the distance is closer and the diffraction pattern is more complex, requiring more advanced mathematical techniques for analysis.