Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fraunhofer diffraction and Fourier transform

1. Nov 5, 2008 #1
    a Fourier transform of an aperature results the pattern of the fraunhofer diffraction fringes at infinity of light passing that aperature.

How can we understand that point physically? I tried much to think about it! but no use.

Everyone, Please give your thought about this, so I can have many views about this.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'physical' understanding; the result you mention is due to mathematically modeling the process of diffraction.

Goodman's book "Introduction to Fourier Optics" has a clear derivation of the result in chapter 4 or 5.
  4. Nov 6, 2008 #3
    I have Hecht book, It explains the thing mathematically only, And I mean by physical understanding, the relation between the nature and the mathematical Fourier transform, For example you can relate the Curl operator with nature by saying a wire containing an electric current produces a rotating magnetic field.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?